LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can an ignition coil be tested with out being bolted down??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can an ignition coil be tested with out being bolted down??

so my buddies 93 Z28 is acting kind of quirky, it barely starts and when it does it idles barely at like 300 rpm and giving it gas reslts in the car dying. So we went through the dealer for a ICM and that curred nothing. SO what i want to do now if take a stock GM coil that i know is good and plug it in place of the one that already on his car with out having to bolt it down. can this be done? or will the coil not be grounded if its just hanging there?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT14MULAWS-6
so my buddies 93 Z28 is acting kind of quirky, it barely starts and when it does it idles barely at like 300 rpm and giving it gas reslts in the car dying. So we went through the dealer for a ICM and that curred nothing. SO what i want to do now if take a stock GM coil that i know is good and plug it in place of the one that already on his car with out having to bolt it down. can this be done? or will the coil not be grounded if its just hanging there?
IIRC the coil plugs into the ICM. so you'd have to have a ICM as well. But you should be able to run a ground strap from the test icm to the real icm and plug the connector into the test icm and it should work.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

there are only two little 5/16" bolts holding it on man, just bolt it up. you can also test the ohms on the stocker, there is a write-up think it's like 4600ohms that it should read. If I find it I'll post it here.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Launching!

ya i already put the new module on, what i was saying is that i would like to be able to test my coil with out having to disturb it. So if i take my extra coil i have can i simply unplug the on in his car and plug it to the one in my hand and fire it up?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

ya i already put the new module on, what i was saying is that i would like to be able to test my coil with out having to disturb it. So if i take my extra coil i have can i simply unplug the on in his car and plug it to the one in my hand and fire it up?
I'm no expert, thought it needed to be grounded though. Here is what I was talking about.

http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg (test it & be done with it the right way)...

more info
http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html
Old 03-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Launching!

ya i ll try to run a volt meter through the stock peice see if i can further diagnose it, i mean an ignition coil is only lke 45$ so its not the investment factor its jsut that my buddy doesnt want to replace his rivets with a nut/bolt set up that comes with a new coil if he doesnt have to, so as i said we were gonna try to simply plug into the extra coil to see if that work but now i am beginning to think a coil wouldnt even work if its not bolted down to something correct? thanks for the replies
Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

ya i ll try to run a volt meter through the stock peice see if i can further diagnose it, i mean an ignition coil is only lke 45$ so its not the investment factor its jsut that my buddy doesnt want to replace his rivets with a nut/bolt set up that comes with a new coil if he doesnt have to, so as i said we were gonna try to simply plug into the extra coil to see if that work but now i am beginning to think a coil wouldnt even work if its not bolted down to something correct? thanks for the replies
Oh yeahhh you're right,, the coil is rivited...I was thinking both cars were the same just unbolt the entire assembly, but if ones a 97 and the other a 93 for example they would harness together.

Not sure on the ground man, sorry.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coil will work if it is not bolted down. It does not have to be grounded.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

excellent thankyou gentlemen!

Quick Reply: can an ignition coil be tested with out being bolted down??