LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark II installation orientation question

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark II installation orientation question

I am sure this quesiton has been asked before, but my DSL is down and I am on dial-up so it takes me too long to search.

I just recently installed a new cam, timing set, and water pump. I have a book "How to Rebuild LT1's/LT4's." In this book the author makes specific mention of the fact that the dots do not need to line up (6 o' clock cam dot, 12 o' clock crank dot) on the crank and cam sprockets to install the distributor. Instead he recommends that the cam sprocket dot and the crank sprocket dot both be at 12 o' clock. The piston will be at TDC at either orientation. Can someone explain why it is necessary to install the distributor in this manner?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

shouldn't be necessary I assume you're refering to the vented opti. There should be 3 holes on the back of your opti just make sure the dowl goes into the proper hole (only one should fit).
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I did verify that the cam dowel pin went into the slotted hole on the back of the distributor. I was trying to figure out what the reason would be to install the distributor according to the author's directions. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

the only thing I can think of is to make sure it on #1 TDC.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Well, either way I install it, it would be TDC on #1. It is just that if I do it the way that the author suggests then it will be on the compression stroke, and if I do it the other way it will be on the exhaust stroke. I was curious to find out what difference it would make if any...

Last edited by StrokerVette; 03-23-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optispark II installation orientation question