LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Options for making a 400rwhp LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for making a 400rwhp LT1

I'm selling my turbo v6 camaro, and I'm thinking about getting an LT1 M6 C4 vette. I'm new to the LT1 scene, and I wanna learn more. I'm told mods are dirt cheap for the LT1.

I wanna keep it simple. I'd like to just do a heads/cam package that will get me around 400ish hp at the wheels. Can you guys get me pointed in the right direction? I want to see what all would be involved with this build to see if I really want to do it.

So far, I'm thinking about the following:
Edelbrock heads
cam to match heads recomended by edelbrock
cold air intake
headers (don't know what kind to get)
full exhaust (whats a cheap and effective exhaust?)
handheld programmer for tuning (what kind do you recommend?)
Upgraded clutch (what do you recomend?)

Will I need to upgrade my fuel injectors, fuel pump, transmission, rear end, or any other parts in order to make this work?

Do we have any sponsors with cheaper/better performing heads/cam than edelbrock? Is there anything else I should know?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all bolt ons, get rid of the emissions while ur at it.. cam and heads wham bam ur at 400

u can go heads and cam but ur gonna choke it with everything stock
Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gun5
all bolt ons, get rid of the emissions while ur at it.. cam and heads wham bam ur at 400

u can go heads and cam but ur gonna choke it with everything stock
Thats one of the things I was asking about.

what other supporting mods do I need to handle the heads/cam?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

well along with heads/cam have your intake ported to match then do full exhaust and a cold air intake or something of the sort... u can do a TB if u want but hell i havnt even done that although everyone is tellin me ill get another 8-9 out of it..

and ofcourse a tune up plugs wires, filters and such
Old 05-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Launching!

OK, thats what I was thinking.

Is the optispark really a nightmare like everyone says, or can it be used reliably?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT Malice
OK, thats what I was thinking.

Is the optispark really a nightmare like everyone says, or can it be used reliably?
man its like anyother thing that can work/not work make sure its set up right.. i had a delco opti with msd/cap rotor fail after 600 miles but the opti sat for 2 years in a box/shelf now i got a MSD probillet opti and it works great
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 PM
FormerVendor

I'm selling my turbo v6 camaro, and I'm thinking about getting an LT1 M6 C4 vette. I'm new to the LT1 scene, and I wanna learn more. I'm told mods are dirt cheap for the LT1.

I wanna keep it simple. I'd like to just do a heads/cam package that will get me around 400ish hp at the wheels. Can you guys get me pointed in the right direction? I want to see what all would be involved with this build to see if I really want to do it.

So far, I'm thinking about the following:
Edelbrock heads
cam to match heads recomended by edelbrock
cold air intake
headers (don't know what kind to get)
full exhaust (whats a cheap and effective exhaust?)
handheld programmer for tuning (what kind do you recommend?)
Upgraded clutch (what do you recomend?)

Will I need to upgrade my fuel injectors, fuel pump, transmission, rear end, or any other parts in order to make this work?

Do we have any sponsors with cheaper/better performing heads/cam than edelbrock? Is there anything else I should know?
AFR make an afforable head that will perform much better as does Trikflow. I would look at the CC306 it is very popular for this engine and 1.6RR.

Spec makes good clutches, I am running a stage 2 and it grips my 400hp. Use an injector calculator but it is still 350 so they should work (just check at max RPM)
Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I have had many SPEC clutches in my V6 camaro and I don't like them. I prefer a clutch that engages close to the floor and has a stiff pedal. All of my V6 SPECs have had a very light pedal and engaged near the top of the pedal travel. They are cheap and hold power though.

You really think the stock injectors will be fine? I'll find a calculator.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Well as far as clutches go you can go with something different. I had a buddy point out a dual clutch but it was $2000+ so I can live with my spec until either the HP outstrips it or it is time for a new one which ever comes first.

Definitely get the headers and CAI then the head and Cam and perhaps a 52mm TB and ported intake. That should get you there and then some maybe. Oh don't forget you will need a tune or it won't run

I went with 42# but I am running a 396ci. If you want to spend the money 30#SVO will do the trick.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Edlebrock CRAP makes less than 400FLYWHEEL hp. AFR is A LOT more hype than results, stick with ported stock castings, I chose Advanced Induction to port mine because IMO they are the best and not that expensive all things considered, but there are a number of companies that do decent work to choose from.
Ported stock castings will cost more than the Edelbrock but they will actually perform where the Edelbrocks are basically a joke. Let whomever you pick for headwork help with the cam.

Handhelp programmers are JUNK a laptop and Tunercat or have someone email you programs you load with a laptop is FAR better and cheaper if you use an older laptop, not to mention capable of actual tuning rather than the few yes/no questions a handheld has you answer to "tune".
Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd think if you got a K&N CAI, some pacesetter longtubes, a pacesetter Y pipe, and then a catback that isn't flowmaster or some ****. And then you threw an LT4 hotcam kit on it you'd be pretty close to 400rwhp with the stock heads if you get them ported. Maybe get a throttle body or some under-drives to push you over the edge.

Then get it dyno tuned by a reputable shop, and bam, you're there.

Last edited by V8sounds; 05-06-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Malice look in to a LE2 package, for headers, Hooker LTs work fine. Do you have pass to smog?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by V8sounds
I'd think if you got a K&N CAI, some pacesetter longtubes, a pacesetter Y pipe, and then a catback that isn't flowmaster or some ****. And then you threw an LT4 hotcam kit on it you'd be pretty close to 400rwhp with the stock heads. Maybe get a throttle body or some under-drives to push you over the edge.

Then get it dyno tuned by a reputable shop, and bam, you're there.

Are you on drugs? What you are suggesting will not make 400FWhp. The most optomistic numbers for the full LT4 HOT conversion including heads are only 425FWhp which is still a sad number compared to what we can do today.

People talk like 400rwhp is easy these days, it is not. I am not saying it is hard either just that if you listen to most of these guys you wont get there, if you think a Summit catalogue is the be-all end-all in performance you will not get there.

You need to sort out those who have genuine results from those who have no track times to show and listen to the guys with results. I am not saying that mine is the only route to a fast car just that you need to listen to the relative minority here who do have fast cars rather than all the kids who buy whatever is supposed to be the latest hot part.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
FormerVendor

Ya AI or LE can make some sweet numbers with stock heads.

I doubt you will hit 400 at the rear with stock heads I have a 3 angle job and some bowl blending and will dyno the 396 next week and I doubt it will be there because of them. I saw the LT4 cam specs and they are not all that big.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

I'm told mods are dirt cheap for the LT1.

That is freakin hilarious. Maybe if your not a simple grunt in the ARMY like me. But, $500here,$2000 there,and another $1500 to support those other $500 mods,etc... etc... etc...

And then your engine blows up because the owner before you didn't take propper care of the car. But just a couple more weeks and I will be back on the road.

Good luck... Rember just like any other car......... When you change one thing most likly you gota change another, and after you change that one you gota change another because you changed the one before this so that means you have to change another etc...
Old 05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Are you on drugs? What you are suggesting will not make 400FWhp. The most optomistic numbers for the full LT4 HOT conversion including heads are only 425FWhp which is still a sad number compared to what we can do today.

People talk like 400rwhp is easy these days, it is not. I am not saying it is hard either just that if you listen to most of these guys you wont get there, if you think a Summit catalogue is the be-all end-all in performance you will not get there.

You need to sort out those who have genuine results from those who have no track times to show and listen to the guys with results. I am not saying that mine is the only route to a fast car just that you need to listen to the relative minority here who do have fast cars rather than all the kids who buy whatever is supposed to be the latest hot part.
No I am not on drugs. I was 99% sure I said ported heads up there, but I geuss I did not. I meant to say that the stock heads if ported, should get you very close.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah there is plenty of people at, over, or close to 400rwhp with Elliot Portworks products (LE) and they won't draing your bank account. cz28 has alot of support and info for this type of work.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

dont waste your time with a 52mm throttle body get a 58 and port your intake....brent franker has done quite a bit with these cars and here is a link to his page of him self porting his own ontake and adding a 58mm throttle body. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/96ss/58porting.htm
i have a 94 z28 with lt4 hot cam kit, blended bowls(nothing big on the port job), cold air, pace setter mid lengths(wish i had gotten long tubes), borla cat back, msd plug wires, MSD 6A box, and Jesse Stradner at the HorsePower House tuned it with LT1 Edit and it put 331 hp and 335 tq....but those numbers were with the stock restrictve intake. so so probabaly 335-340 hp with CAI.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Malice look in to a LE2 package, for headers, Hooker LTs work fine. Do you have pass to smog?
+1 for LE at Elliott Portworks......
Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

400rwhp is not a hard mark to beat, full boltons and heads/cam will do it for you.

Ported stock heads, matching cam, long tubes/ory/catback, and a good tune. You can hit 400rwhp cam only but that is a little harder and more radical.

Quick Reply: Options for making a 400rwhp LT1