LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on afr 190 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on afr 190 heads

High I was wondering. If anyone here is familiar with the afr if 190 heads. for a lt1. Was looking at a set of used ones with 2.02 int and 1.60 exhaust. 52cc combustion chamber. Was wondering what the stock piston what the compression. may be doing a 383 in the future. If anyone can give me the pros and cons on these heads I would appreciate it they are just C&C ported
thank you pat
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

any one please the sale is all most over
Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

any one please
Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be a good head with 52cc chambers. Will raise your compression a little. Should be a good buy for the right price.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't buy any afr heads unless they are the new port design, seems like a waste to spend the $$ on aftermarket castings only to have to get them ported to make power.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

any ges on compresin with a stock block. arnt they beter then the le2 heds they are cnc ported
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

I did when the auction.for 1340.00. Was told it should make 11 to 1 compression. With my stock block. Now I just need to do the rod bearings and maybe Pistons thank you everyone you have been a great help
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

tell us how it runs! i'd send them to lloyd elliott to get them checked out and done a little bigger but thats just my .02
Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

I will keep you informed. For now I'm just trying to make a street car. That will probably not see the strip. For now. Will be doing a 383 in the next 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years have a 305 cam for now not sure how it will match up. Would love to hear from anyone that's had these heads or has the heads to hear about their bill .and how it worked out for them
thank you for everyone's comments so far pat
Old 05-12-2007, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Iam running AFR 190's on 383 There some badass heads with alots of meat still come off it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You will find lots of people saying they are great and about nobody actually running anything I would call great.
This is due to the wonders of advertizing and people not being man enough to step up and admit a mistake and would rather drag others down their same path than help them actually get a little bang for their buck.

Most people who like AFR will even tell you the heads under 210 are poor as is their CNC porting.

I have repeatedly challenged on several forums people to come up with results for these little AFRs and the VERY few times people actually tried I was able to point out ported stock heads cars that made the AFRs look like the joke they are. Once you get into the big stuff where finnesse is no longer a concern then the big gaping hole can do the trick but on our low rpm street stuff ported stock castings are the right choice.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

I can't see the point in a AFR 190cc head for that kinda money. IMO a ported stock casting(Ai, LE etc) would be AS good if not better for less money.

IF they were that good, more people would have them and have results from using them.

David
Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were buying heads for a stroker I'd buy bigger than 52cc chambers. You're going to have to use dished pistons in order to get a decent compression ratio.
Set up to tight quench and flat top pistons, with the 52cc chambers the compression ratio ends up around 12.8:1 which is a little higher than I feel comfortable running.
However, I've been thinking about buying some ported AFRs and having them decked for about a 56-58 CC chamber. (depending on whether I go 3.75 or bigger on the stroke)
JMHO
Mike
Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

How many of you afr haters work for another head company?And if you dont, then you must be smoking something.Remember, puff puff pass! I work at a corvette performance shop in the baltimore area and about 80% of the vettes that get heads,get afr. And their no dumies when it comes to performance. Ive installed many a cylinder head and the afr's with the comp. pkg. are one of the finest. Im not getting paid by afr to say that either.Whether it be in a magazine or in a shop, Flow and dyno numbers dont lie! If you think afr's are to expensive, fine. But dont distort the facts to complement an opinion.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You accuse others of working for head shops then admit installing AFR heads yourself.

If you knew a damned thing you would know flow numbers are not the ultimate measure of a head.

Vette guys often go for marketing. If someone has the money to mod a Vette they often are checkbook mechanics rather than like the rest of us who have to research and buy the right parts.

If it was me you thought works for a head shop you are sadly mistaken, carpenter would be a better description of what I do.

You want to claim my info is faulty start posting examples of fast cars with the AFR 190s.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You accuse others of working for head shops then admit installing AFR heads yourself.

If you knew a damned thing you would know flow numbers are not the ultimate measure of a head.

Vette guys often go for marketing. If someone has the money to mod a Vette they often are checkbook mechanics rather than like the rest of us who have to research and buy the right parts.

If it was me you thought works for a head shop you are sadly mistaken, carpenter would be a better description of what I do.

You want to claim my info is faulty start posting examples of fast cars with the AFR 190s.
I dont work for a head shop. Its a PERFORMANCE SHOP.Ive installed trickflow,dart,patriot ext. And if flow #s are not the measure of a head, then what the hell is? Ever heard the expresion"an engines like an air pump"? Hey, and nice big paint brush you use to generalize vette guys. A small block is a small block no matter what its in.And If you would read the mags explaining to you what works and what doesnt, You wouldnt have to feel sorry for yourself doing research. But thats right, they all lie.Trust no one, right scully?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You will find lots of people saying they are great and about nobody actually running anything I would call great.
This is due to the wonders of advertizing and people not being man enough to step up and admit a mistake and would rather drag others down their same path than help them actually get a little bang for their buck.

Most people who like AFR will even tell you the heads under 210 are poor as is their CNC porting.

I have repeatedly challenged on several forums people to come up with results for these little AFRs and the VERY few times people actually tried I was able to point out ported stock heads cars that made the AFRs look like the joke they are. Once you get into the big stuff where finnesse is no longer a concern then the big gaping hole can do the trick but on our low rpm street stuff ported stock castings are the right choice.
I ran 9.85 @ 141 mph with AFR 190 heads with hydraulic cam and full weight street car 3600 lbs and 355 gears. They are nice heads!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I ran 9.85 @ 141 mph with AFR 190 heads with hydraulic cam and full weight street car 3600 lbs and 355 gears. They are nice heads!
What'd you run on motor? I find it kind of funny I out dyno'd a 383 with afr heads back when my heads only flowed 240cfm. We were both getting dyno tuned, so it wasn't the tune.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GGPC
I dont work for a head shop. Its a PERFORMANCE SHOP.Ive installed trickflow,dart,patriot ext. And if flow #s are not the measure of a head, then what the hell is? Ever heard the expresion"an engines like an air pump"? Hey, and nice big paint brush you use to generalize vette guys. A small block is a small block no matter what its in.And If you would read the mags explaining to you what works and what doesnt, You wouldnt have to feel sorry for yourself doing research. But thats right, they all lie.Trust no one, right scully?
I guess we should all be running the edelbrock heads too since magazines rave about them too.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I guess we should all be running the edelbrock heads too since magazines rave about them too.
chevy high performance and hot rod never use edelbrock heads.Infact, Ive only put together one Edelbrock top end package in the last 5 years for an lt1.The valves are just to small. They do make decent intake manifolds for carbs. though.

Quick Reply: Opinion on afr 190 heads