LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Next Upgrade? Need some guidance/suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Next Upgrade? Need some guidance/suggestions...

I just recently bought a 97' 30th anv. z28, have already added a SLP loudmouth exhaust along w/ K & N cold air intake to it, it sounds pretty awesome now and has added some power..was thinkin about adding either throttle body, or max air flow sensor, and trick flow elbow in over next few months $ permitting...wanted to know if trick flow elbow was worth the $ & if air flow sensor would be a good upgrade? Any input, suggestions are welcome, thanks - patrick

Last edited by pat_r1ck; 05-15-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A throttle body will provide minimal if any gains on a stock internal lt1, wait until at least a cam or heads/cam for the throttle body. As for the mass air flow senser, don't waste your money just leave it alone. In my opinion the Trickflow ceramic elbows are the best out there because they don't heat soak and are smooth unlike the stocker. I'm not sure if you will get any real power gain from an elbow though. I would suggest saving for some headers and a Y pipe, gears, or a stall if your car is an automatic.

Here is a link for basic bolt ons https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...81#post2682281
Old 05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Would you think that the Trick Flow elbow would add much sound to the exhaust? Also, you said if i had an automatic to think about adding a stall, what exactly is a stall(sorry i'm still learnin), appreciate all the suggestions..
Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Trickflow ceramic elbows are the good like the bestop because they don't heat soak and are smooth unlike the stocker.Increase in power would depend on the transmission though.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

yup, you need to get headers and a y-pipe to pick up a easy 20 horsepower..I have the trick flow elbow..good upgrade because the stock elbow is restrictive and gets rid of the donkey dong. After you do that...get some 3:73 gears in the rear. A stall puts your rpms's up before you take off. It's like holding a clutch when you rev the motor, then let off and let it eat.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pat_r1ck
Would you think that the Trick Flow elbow would add much sound to the exhaust? Also, you said if i had an automatic to think about adding a stall, what exactly is a stall(sorry i'm still learnin), appreciate all the suggestions..
I have never heard of an elbow adding to the exhaust sound. If you want to add to the exhaust sound and pick up a good 20hp or so I would suggest looking into long tube headers and a Y pipe. From what I've heard a stall converter is one of the most noticible mods on a stock automatic car. Also do you know what gear ratio you have? I'm an m6 guy so even though I understand how a stall works I would rather an a4 guy explain it so here is a link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/715886-school-me-stalls.html
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt197formula
I have never heard of an elbow adding to the exhaust sound.
I will tell you this.
My first mod was my Catback (SLP).
I then got a Moroso CAI and Trickflow (coated aluminum).
It smoothened out my exhaust note some.
I know most of it had to do with the intake, but the stock elbow is just terrible.
The Elbow makes a very mininal difference, but it does help airflow and reduces heat (if you get the ceramic coated one like mine)

Originally Posted by lt197formula
I would suggest looking into long tube headers and a Y pipe.

LT's, port your stock TB, 160 Stat, foil and TB bypass and have it tuned....
thats what I am doing next... all at once!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

headers are a must, the manifolds on your car stock are like bricks that exhaust is supposed to just find its way out of.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I will tell you this.
My first mod was my Catback (SLP).
I then got a Moroso CAI and Trickflow (coated aluminum).
It smoothened out my exhaust note some.
I know most of it had to do with the intake, but the stock elbow is just terrible.
The Elbow makes a very mininal difference, but it does help airflow and reduces heat (if you get the ceramic coated one like mine)

LT's, port your stock TB, 160 Stat, foil and TB bypass and have it tuned....
thats what I am doing next... all at once!
The smoothening was most likely all done by the cai. I experienced the same thing when I installed mine. I highly doubt the elbow will provide any noticeable change in exhaust note. Yes the stock elbow is terrible but until it rips or you run out of things to mod it works fine, I'm still on the stocker at my level lol. Long tubes and a Y pipe are definitely needed, 160 stat yes, air foil... I had one in for a while and took it out but now have a 58mm so it doesn't matter, throttle body bypass of course since it is a free mod and then a tune yes.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys..i know that headers are a must upgrade but what is a good brand, i know they need to be ceramic coated and all but wanted to know what brand yall went with..also should you wait to get the Y-pipe after you get headers or does it matter? Guy from work(has heavily modded 98' ls1) suggested i get a shift kit since i have an automatic, wanted to know if that was worth doin and if anyone knows good brands for that?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker or Pacesetter headers are good and not too expensive. You will need to wait until you get the headers to get the Y pipe because an aftermarket Y pipe will not fit with your stock exhaust manifolds. I have no idea on a shift kit, I've never heard of auto guys doing it until heavily modded so I would wait and spend your money elsewhere for now.