LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

White smoke at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default White smoke at WOT?

Please don't tell me headgasket! Anyway whenever I open up the car down a back road I get a little puff of white smoke out the exhaust. Not a lot just a little puff when I shift at WOT. Never does any smoking or anything under ~5800 RPM's, just at WOT. I have a cam with bolt-ons and no cats, tuned by Mad z28. Is this normal or is it time for ported heads?

BTW cam is cc503
Old 05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the oil and find out.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

A very small amount of blue smoke, as in burnt oil, will often look white. Does she use any oil?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

I use a little oil but nothing noticeable since I also leak oil. Probably put in a quart between oil changes. The smoke is for sure white, no blue tint to it at all. Well I'm about due for an oil change but it has done this since I bought the car. I bought the car with a few bolt-ons and I did the cam and valvetrain and a few more bolt-ons. I've done 2 oil changes since the cam swap in December and countless oil changes before that, but the oil didn't look like it had water in it.

Since its due anyway I'll probably run some seafoam in the crankcase for a couple hundred miles and then change the oil. Maybe that will clear it up?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's a little Oil Burning..mine did it for a bit and went away. Did you have it parked for a little while somewhere?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

No, I drive it about 5 days out of the week
Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Valve Seals might be goin to ****..
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Those got replaced too when the valvetrain got re-done for the cam. Oh well I guess if it hasn't broke yet I shouldn't worry.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Mine did it for a little bit and went away..don't know what it was, but it's gone.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

do a compression check on it, if you're worried.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by porksoda
Since its due anyway I'll probably run some seafoam in the crankcase for a couple hundred miles and then change the oil. Maybe that will clear it up?

I don't see the Seafoam helping this. You're car is burning oil or water, you just need to figure out which one. My guess is that it's burning a little oil.

I would start by checking the hose on the passenger side valve cover that runs to the throttle body. Take it off and swab the inside of the hose and vacum port with a q-tip. If it comes out oily, you may have found the problem. You can put a filter in the hose to stop oil from being sucked into the throttle body. It wouldn't hurt to clean out the hose and throttle body to remove any existing oil. This is a common problem on our cars. Some people achieve satisfactory results by removeing the hose all together and putting a breather in the valve cover. I personaly don't care for that approach since it is part of the pcv system.

If that doesn't help, pull all of the spark plugs and keep up with which one came from which cylinder. By looking at them all side by side, a problem cylinder will often stand out. For instance, if one of the plugs is much cleaner than the rest, it could be getting steam cleaned by a small head gasket leak. On the other hand, a plug from a cylinder that is burning some oil will look much dirtier than the others. With the advent of electronic engine controls and diagnostics, I think many people have lost sight of how helpful reading plugs can be when evaluating engine conditions.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I know for sure I get quite a bit of blowby through that PCV tube, just never thought it would cause that puff of smoke. I'll try that inline filter thing from Autozone that everyone talks about. Does anyone know the name or part number of what I have to buy?