LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird Starter Issue

Old 05-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Starter Issue

Hey all-

I woke up this morning to leave my girlfriend's house (a painful experience, as usual), and found that my Trans am wouldnt start =/ it wouldn't turn over. all the accessories worked, everything. i even tried jumping it, just to say i tried. no luck

so i come back later, and think its the starter. i tear off the starter, and go get it tested. it checks out good. i put it back on the car.... install it back in place. as soon as i put the negative battery cable back on, the starter began spinning uncontrollably until i took the cable back off. i thought this was odd, so i decided id just take the starter off and play with it. anytime i grounded the starter case to the frame the motor would spin, and there would be a spark....

i tried a new starter-- same issue.

anyone have ANY ideas? i'm so lost... so confused.. blah.

Thanks!

Last edited by jensamin; 05-19-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm starter switch maybe.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

the switch being the small wire- right?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I once had my starter off and I accidentally had the two terminals touching and that caused the starter to engage once I hooked the battery up. But you said it did it on a different one too so I don't now.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey i had thae same problem with mine.. I Have Hookers lts, Aparently the singal wire to the starter started to melt down and show bare wire and it would occasionaly ground it self to the header and make a circuit. It took me a few days to figure it out. I just took the wire comning off the main harness andreplaced it and re routed it and everthing works fine now.. Hope that helps ya
Old 11-24-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lt1junkie
Hey i had thae same problem with mine.. I Have Hookers lts, Aparently the singal wire to the starter started to melt down and show bare wire and it would occasionaly ground it self to the header and make a circuit. It took me a few days to figure it out. I just took the wire comning off the main harness andreplaced it and re routed it and everthing works fine now.. Hope that helps ya
I thought that the purple wire was switched power, just curious how does that keep the starter turning if it is grounding out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Starter Issue