LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wierd starter problem! Please help need car for work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd starter problem! Please help need car for work.

Ok so I was driving home from work and I have to merge to the expressway so I get on it a little (below 2500k) and I hear this sound kinda like a bolt let loose and banged around the bottom of the car and then its gone. I look in my mirror and see something black bouncing (small), I assumed it was some road debris as my car ran fine. They may just be coincidence.

I get home, and cap the cutout, turn it on and take it for a ride for a bit (runs just fine). Come back turn it off and right as it turns off I hear this faint wierd metal noise (the last noise it made once completely silent). So curious I try to turn it back on, and when I am trying to crank it over all I hear is a constant starter noise, sounds like a vacumme cleaner with a little bit of metal mixed in. Its just a contant humm from under the car, and motor does not crank. Like the starter is not hooked up to anything. Car has a fairly new GM stock flywheel in it (6months old), when I did whole trans/clutch job.

So where should I start?

Most importantly somehow I have to get the car into the garage, whats the best way to push start a manual, is it safe and can it be done?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Second Moderator

Sounds like your starter bolts fell out. Go buy two new starter bolts and bolt your starter back in. Make sure you buy "starter bolts" or they will work themselves out again. Starter bolts have a knurl up by the head of the bolt that bites into the starter so it cant work itself loose.

Good luck
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

hmm I wouldnt be surprised if those backed out, cuz I had my car in the exhaust shop to try and figure out what was stuck in my y pipe, and they were banged on it hard with some big hammers.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

BTW, whats the best way to pushstart it? I only have one shot once i roll out of the driveway there is one hill and thats it. So If I cant get it started on that hill, im screwed.