LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aftermarket Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aftermarket Valve Covers

I know some guys out there are running an aftermarket valve cover, such as chrome chevy racing, or chevrolet, or whatever. I was in SDPC the other day, and saw quite a few Center Bolt VC. Just wondering if any of them were a direct bolt-on for a stock LT1 Head.

pics and part numbers would be awesome!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have to do some research but I swear that summit or some other companies had a billet aluminum plate that goes under your vavle covers that will convert your centerbolt valve covers to perimeter bolts so you can use all the popular small block chevy valve covers that are available.... They were pretty pricey from what I remember along the lines of 150-200 bucks not to include the valve covers....

However if you plan on keeping A/C and your alternator in it's original location you are not going to be able to run standard perimeter valve covers since the *** end of the alternator will hit the front of the pass side cover.... so you'll have to solve that problem by using one of two things. custom fab work on the valve cover or a big *** hammer.... hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

ebay aluminum valve covers
they are pretty cheap, and they have the alternator notch and clear roller rockers

Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Launching!

The notched covers would be the best, but if you get one that isn't you can get them to fit by grinding on the alternator.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Captainofiron: Any leaking issues with these covers? I have the same ones and like how they look but I am having the toughest time keeping the passenger side cover from leaking. I've done the gaskets twice and I'm just not having good luck with it. Drivers side is totally dry so I will be selling these and putting my stockers back on for now. The area where the gasket sits is not as deep as the stockers so I'm thinking this may be of issue. Atleast with mine.

-brian
Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Captainofiron: Any leaking issues with these covers? I have the same ones and like how they look but I am having the toughest time keeping the passenger side cover from leaking. I've done the gaskets twice and I'm just not having good luck with it. Drivers side is totally dry so I will be selling these and putting my stockers back on for now. The area where the gasket sits is not as deep as the stockers so I'm thinking this may be of issue. Atleast with mine.

-brian
Must be something about the pass. side, as I'm having a similar issue. I have a set of the tall black crinkle Proform covers, and I notched the front of the pass. side cover in order to clear the alternator. I did this because I wanted to use the ARP polylock nuts, since I'm running GMPP roller rockers, and I needed the extra height.

I'm having difficulty getting the cover to seat without seeping. No drips, but the faint smell of hot oil when I shut it down.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

doing better than me, I have blue/white smoke coming off the back end of the car from the oil running down onto the exhaust.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I bought those ebay chrome valve covers, they wouldn't fit over my rockers and head studs, I should have known. I ended up buying the Canton Fabbed valve covers and I couldn't be more happy, it makes the engine look so much better.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6

-brian
I havent had any problems yet, but the gaskets are a major pain to install on these, what I ended up doing was using 3M gasket and weatherstripping adhesive and gluing the gaskets on and then waiting for like 30 minutes for the glue to dry then installing them.

but no leaking issues, maybe you should check the legs where the bolts run down, the legs on mine were not machined correctly and the valve cover was not seating completely I grinded off a little material and now they seat perfect
Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the info and good to hear you don't have any issues. I guess I'm getting what I paid for unfortunately. I used RTV in the corners to keep the gasket in place before trying to put them on. I may just use the stockers again and sell these off..if I can.

-brian
Old 05-24-2007, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soooo. no one has used any of the GM Chrome Covers....???

They have a set that states for 87-02 5.0 & 5.7. Not the nicest things out there, but still better than black.

I guess I could just have my stockers powdercoated the color of the car....but meh.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Valve Covers