LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Z28 - keeps dying - alternator dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Z28 - keeps dying - alternator dead?

Sorry for the vague description of what’s going on with the car, it’s a family member(mom) who described it to me on the phone, as I’m over 200 miles away.

Car is a 93 LT1 Z28 with 135K miles, alternator was replaced almost 2 years ago. I was told that the Camaro(my old car and now my sister’s) was having major mechanical problems. It apparently shut off while going down the road, luckily close to our house. My father had an extra brand new battery in the garage and replaced it roadside. It seemed to work for a few days, then it died again. Charge it up, it will start, and run for a little while only to die again. From the description I was given, it sounds like the alternator is bad. My father is out of town, and my mom and my sister can’t really test it out with a voltmeter until he gets back.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good although not the only option. i had one that i bought from the chevy dealer after my rebuild crapped out and after a couple of days it would not charge. the connector on the bottom of the alternator had cracked which i believe is for the regulator, cant remember. anyway, replaced the connector and it charged nicely.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask your mom what the volt gauge is showing while the car is running. If it's down by the 1/4 mark or less, the alternator isn't charging.

Quick Reply: 93 Z28 - keeps dying - alternator dead?