LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header question

Now i kno you guys must have heard this a million times, but what is the significant difference between coated and non-coated headers? Any performance downfall from goin noncoated? Is there a substantial heat increase under the hood if you go non-coated? Or is the coating just for looks???? all suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Ill like to know the answer too. Anyone?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Coating headers inside and out is supposed to keep the heat inside of the header tubes and also keep exhaust gas velocity up which helps scavenge the exhaust gasses, as well as keeping underhood temps down...The only problem I've seen with the coatings is that they tend to not hold up as long as they suggest...My last set of Jet Hot coated shorties lasted a year before they looked like crap...My new set of Kooks LTs are stainless and I did not have them coated...They perforn very well and look great, too...

Just getting painted mild steel headers results in very rusty nasty looking headers very fast...If you're are going with mild steel I'd get them coated by a reputable place and hope for the best....

--Alan
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

There may be a minor heat difference, but IMO coated headers are mostly for the bling. If you wanna raise your hood and see nice shiny headers, then get coated. If you wanna get the same performance and save some money toward other things that actually make the car faster, the get uncoated. Some people will tell you that uncoated headers want last. I have owned non coated headers that lasted over ten years. People that drive where the roads are salted in winter might get different results.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

i love my non-coated headers and +1 for wa razor said
Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the coating helps pretty much im mostly likely going to get my kooks coated when I take them back off when I do heads/cam and thats after I took a lot of time polishing them. It just gets too hot under the hood imo and I think the coating will help pretty much my last car had coated headers and it seemed to help a lot they were also stainless to begin with.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

big difference.... Rust, if you live anywhere that there is alot of humidity or salty air, those non coated headers will last maybe a year or two.