LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle issues

96 SS camaro, that has just recently started having trouble idleing, but its not all the time, at first it was only in the mornings that i would get about a quarter mile from my house hit the stop sign and it will just stall, or at best the rpm's will drop to 500 when its usually between 1000 and 1200 rpm's, which is droping my oil pressuse down to nothing when the engine is warm, but then it started running better in the morning and crappy in the afternoon and it just kinda alternates, some days its just crappy all day, my first instinct was a vaccum problem, and i found a hose that was all cracked and i fixed that but it didnt fix the problem, my next thought was maybe my throttle body but i dont really know what to do and a mechanic told me today it probably isnt the throttle body i think he said sumthing about a temperature controll thing but its kinda hard for me to make out wtf he is saying, lol, they are pretty good mechanics but they have very thick asian accents so i dunno wtf is goin on, for the last like 2 years ive had 2 codes causing my service engine light to be on which come up running lean bank one and running lean bank 2, its not the O2 sensors and i replaced my idle air controll valve, and im really just at a loss, im no professional mechanic, but i can fix just about anything myself, its just the damn diagnosing that stumps me sometimes, and id really like to avoid taking it to a shop even tho ive got a extremely good mechanic who will give me everything at cost and pretty much just hook me up because my best friend is engaged to his daughter, but even so, id rather do it myself, any suggestions guys?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The asian guy was probably talking about ECT or Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. It's screwed into the water pump. You can test by checking the resistance with an ohm meter or with a scan tool. The Chiltons Manual is your friend. Best $20 you will ever spend on your car.