LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

supercharging a LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging a LT1.

I'm wondering if someone can either point me in the right direction, or offer some advice and opinions on superchargers. I've decided that this is really the route I want to take with the car. This will be the first time building the car up around a s/c as well. I understand of course that I will need a specific type of cam, forged internals etc... my question is where can I find these forged parts and what's the best brand/product for what I'm looking to do.

I'm looking to get around the 400 marker, nothing crazy. Honestly if I'm around 385-390hp I will be pleased. I was considering the prochargers. I've always heard great things about them and they seem to be a favorite.

btw I checked out the force induction section, and nothing really for the LT1 guys. Not much on superchargers as well, but maybe I overlooked something. Any information you guys have is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

you could get those numbers with a good set of heads, a cam and a good tune. and it wouldnt cost as much.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

how much do you plan on setting aside?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

I would imagine you would get well over 400 hundred with a procharger!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could do a heads and cam, or you could have normal driveability with the procharger, and be able to turn out the boost with a simple pulley swap.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by plaf713
you could do a heads and cam, or you could have normal driveability with the procharger, and be able to turn out the boost with a simple pulley swap.

or you could have the normal driveability of a turbo set up, and easily turn up the boost with a boost controller
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

or you could have normal driveability with head/cam and a proper tune. i plan on dd-ing my 383 build.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VendettaV6
or you could have the normal driveability of a turbo set up, and easily turn up the boost with a boost controller
very very true, have a nice twin turbo set up. very nice
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
I'm wondering if someone can either point me in the right direction, or offer some advice and opinions on superchargers. I've decided that this is really the route I want to take with the car. This will be the first time building the car up around a s/c as well. I understand of course that I will need a specific type of cam, forged internals etc... my question is where can I find these forged parts and what's the best brand/product for what I'm looking to do.

I'm looking to get around the 400 marker, nothing crazy. Honestly if I'm around 385-390hp I will be pleased. I was considering the prochargers. I've always heard great things about them and they seem to be a favorite.

btw I checked out the force induction section, and nothing really for the LT1 guys. Not much on superchargers as well, but maybe I overlooked something. Any information you guys have is greatly appreciated.
Your power goals here contradict what you're willing to put into the car. For 400 RWHP on the car, your typical 7 PSI range blower kit with a good exhaust will get you there without having to touch the motor. My recommendation would be an ATI D-1SC or P-1SC kit as they're self contained and don't require tapping of the oil pan.

IF you're intent on building a motor specifically for boost, your expense ratio will be horribly lopsided to the "killed my wallet for no reason" side. Figure that the blower kit will cost $4-5K, then add in a forged shortblock for $3.5K, top end of the motor (valvetrain, ported heads/manifold) for another $2K, exhaust will probably run about $1-1.5K depending on compnents. If you're going to spend that much money, pulley the blower and make some power. Otherwise, if 400 RWHP is all you're seeking, see paragraph 1.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Staging Lane

I'm making 400 rwhp at 5 psi with the P1-SC. I have a 94 T/A.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

You can easily put down 400HP with a head and cam package, if you go with the S/C and a mild cam and maybe a set of stage one ported heads you can reach 500HP with good drivability.

I have built many S/C motors and would be happy to go over some options with you. Even if you decide to go with a different engine company advice is free just give me a call.

Harold
Port Pros LLC
512-257-0222

Originally Posted by Bones Z28

Old 06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Harold's the man! And his advise is definitely worth money... So getting it for free is going to be worth whatever time you spend contacting him.

I havent commented in this thread because guys like Harold and Fastbird93 are already pointing you in the right direction.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

well i have a p-1sc procharger @ 8psi. Im pushing 402rwhp and 422rwtq..and im experiencing blow by and have 102,000 miles. So ye, its possible my man. but expect to spend atleast $4,800 plus labor. Unless you can do it urself but you need alot of parts. if you have a 96-97 lt1..then you'll need a mass air flow massager which is a few hundred. So expect to spend like 5g's without labor. Have fun

Quick Reply: supercharging a LT1.