LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Coil Pack Conversion, modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Coil Pack Conversion, modifications

ok guys as i said in my n00b thread i am a n00b to this forum but not to the LT1 motor itself. I have had my car going on for 6 years and after putting in most of the parts i would reccomend to anyone im losing intrest with the car itself. it seemingly is always breaking down now after running great last year and now everything is falling apart. In this i want to return back to great running stat but im sick and tired of replacing stock parts that break every year or so with more shitty stock parts. So, here are acouple questions for the LT1/LT4 guys and let me know what you think.

1. i have a 3:73 Richmond gear, with a eaton posi 10 BOLT i just recently broke a axle on the rear end. I really dont want to spend 1800 hundred on a 12bolt when its heavier and just too much damn money. I have reserched the 20% stronger axles from moser and strange are they worth it and hold up better then the stock axles. I see $200 dollars easy installation or $1800 dollars and supporting parts for the 12bolt. I'd like to believe the stronger axles with help. Anyone have any experience with them ?

2. Im having spark issue from this stupid opti-crap. Im thinking of changing to the coil packs but anyone know anything bout them. I have heard good things just still need the opti spark in the end, so whats the advantage of the coil packs easy to fix ?

3. Right now im also trying to find out if there is alittle bit more i can do before buying the AFR or Dart heads i want or spending a huge amount of money. I have a 396 LT1 bolt, dnyatech LT headers, 575/595 cam, 112 LSA, 3:73 gear w/ posi, 2200 stall ( i know i need bigger), emitions deleted, AC deleted, heater core deleted, Full catless exhaust, FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator, etc.......... Right now the only thing that is stock in the car is manaifold,TB, heads, and my thermostat, igintion (sp) and thats preatty much it. Im trying to find where to start now for the best bang for my buck. any ideas ????

I have always been told that you do stuff cheap things break and fast cars deffently break things but for what i have seen on a low budget car you can get in mid 11s w/o spary with just asking the right question and listening. So, now that i have figured out what i already know im looking for my inexpensive guidence.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Um..I will try to answer as much as I can. Well sorry to be the one to tell you, but the ten bolt sucks it will just keep breaking. Goin mid to low 11s isn't the easiest feat with the LT1 without spray, but it's possible I just don't believe it'll be easy on a limited budget
Old 06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default M6 or A4 - That is the question...

Originally Posted by Next level
i have a 3:73 Richmond gear, with a eaton posi 10 BOLT i just recently broke a axle on the rear end. I really dont want to spend 1800 hundred on a 12bolt when its heavier and just too much damn money. I have reserched the 20% stronger axles from moser and strange are they worth it and hold up better then the stock axles. I see $200 dollars easy installation or $1800 dollars and supporting parts for the 12bolt. I'd like to believe the stronger axles with help. Anyone have any experience with them ?
NL -

If you have a manual (like me) with a good clutch, like mine (SPEC 3+), good solid Spicer U-Joints (like mine), and a good 3" Aluminum drive shaft (like mine) you will break every 10 bolt you touch even after you replace the axle w/ Strange ones (like I did). You will break the center section, not the axles.

I've broken 3; two 'built' DTS units after the stock one died. Street tires, every one. My axles are fine - I've done everything to reinforce the actual housing, but that 1-2 shift is brutal...

MIKE
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree on that one. since you arent a stick car it might last longer but i broke my posi broke when i was basically stock. the main advantage to going coil packs is to take the high energy out of the cap and give a stronger spark. still need the opti in good working order though.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

what kind of opti are you replacing it with? alot of people are having good luck with the MSD pro-billet, i have only had to replace one, and i used a gm performance parts one form jegs and it has lasted probably 8000 miles spun to 62-6400 and one time way up there to the rev limit at like 6900 on accident lol. as many cubes as that is i would say a 58mm throttle body would help a lot. try pro products they are cheaper than the name brand ones. look on page 1 of the lt1/lt4 section for the pro products throttle body. have advanced inductions port your intake and maybe heads instead of buying new ones. maybe cutouts or true duals also, and suspension stuff. def adjustabel torque arm if you havent already.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
still need the opti in good working order though.
I beg to differ...

(ignore the coil numbering)

Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how do you do THAT^^^what parts do you need, and i want to know and how much to do it? that is AWESOME
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
how do you do THAT^^^what parts do you need, and i want to know and how much to do it? that is AWESOME
That looks like Delteq setup that uses Northstar coils. Currently, all coil conversions require the optical portion of the opti-spark work currently, since that is what the PCM uses to fire the injectors and coils.

http://www.delteq.com/

Here is the LTCC setup that uses LS1 coils:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mojave
That looks like Delteq setup that uses Northstar coils. Currently, all coil conversions require the optical portion of the opti-spark work currently, since that is what the PCM uses to fire the injectors and coils.

http://www.delteq.com/

Here is the LTCC setup that uses LS1 coils:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
Wrong again..I wouldn't pay for a Delteq setup when for less than $100 in parts and some thinking I can have a much better performing DIS system thats capable of better spark and more advance. Not too mention if you can find the right module, you even get the benefits of multiple sparks under 3000rpm just like the msd's.

Thats a Ford EDIS8 conversion...No northstar coils either. They are standard GM two tower coil packs. I had a bunch of them laying in the shop so it's what I used and fabbed up a custom bracket. The EDIS is so much better than the Delteq setup. Not too mention much more flexible with what coils to use and what configuration you drop it into. For instance it will fire LS1 coils, regular 2 tower coil packs etc etc..I've even seen guys running two Dodge Neon 4 tower coil packs, they work excelent. Hell theres guys even running EDIS on carbed engines.

I'm planning on doing a full write up this week on how I did it, it will be on my personal site.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

please do!

how much off hand would it cost us to do this? if you said it cost you $100 or so then is that what you spent?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10
Wrong again..I wouldn't pay for a Delteq setup when for less than $100 in parts and some thinking I can have a much better performing DIS system thats capable of better spark and more advance. Not too mention if you can find the right module, you even get the benefits of multiple sparks under 3000rpm just like the msd's.

Thats a Ford EDIS8 conversion...No northstar coils either. They are standard GM two tower coil packs. I had a bunch of them laying in the shop so it's what I used and fabbed up a custom bracket. The EDIS is so much better than the Delteq setup. Not too mention much more flexible with what coils to use and what configuration you drop it into. For instance it will fire LS1 coils, regular 2 tower coil packs etc etc..I've even seen guys running two Dodge Neon 4 tower coil packs, they work excelent. Hell theres guys even running EDIS on carbed engines.

I'm planning on doing a full write up this week on how I did it, it will be on my personal site.
I'll be checking out your site for your write up. Thanks for the heads up

Eric
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

ill be putting my optispark in the microwave in the process of installing that. im gonna do a write up on how cool it was to watch it die a slow painful fried death.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
ill be putting my optispark in the microwave in the process of installing that. im gonna do a write up on how cool it was to watch it die a slow painful fried death.
Looking forward to that write up, also! LOL
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10
I beg to differ...

(ignore the coil numbering)

badass idea just wouldnt be able to work on a f-body unless mounted somewhere else. Being a front compartment car that exact place wouldnt work well and would be very difficult to reach.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cody161
what kind of opti are you replacing it with? alot of people are having good luck with the MSD pro-billet, i have only had to replace one, and i used a gm performance parts one form jegs and it has lasted probably 8000 miles spun to 62-6400 and one time way up there to the rev limit at like 6900 on accident lol. as many cubes as that is i would say a 58mm throttle body would help a lot. try pro products they are cheaper than the name brand ones. look on page 1 of the lt1/lt4 section for the pro products throttle body. have advanced inductions port your intake and maybe heads instead of buying new ones. maybe cutouts or true duals also, and suspension stuff. def adjustabel torque arm if you havent already.
well i got a BBK 58mm for free so im sticking with that. As for what kind of opti im going to go with i have no idea yet. I have been sticking with stock but if i can get it to spin up 62 - 6400 ill take it right now i have a tuff time going over 5500 with the stock one i have. I have heard however the MSD opti isnt that great tho ?

I have all the ports i can have on my stock Heads and manafiold and im stick running out of air. So im going to get the LT4 manafiold and Trickflow heads. As for the dual exhaust i have been hearing alot about that, Right now i have a straight Y-pipe into a over axle split to the rear No cats, No Mufflers the only thing i would think if i did true dauls would it would open my exhaust more is that correct ?

and suspension the only thing i dont have is Shocks they are stock as for everything else its done on suspension.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't that the front drive distributor? Could be wrong though....
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SloLt1Z
Um..I will try to answer as much as I can. Well sorry to be the one to tell you, but the ten bolt sucks it will just keep breaking. Goin mid to low 11s isn't the easiest feat with the LT1 without spray, but it's possible I just don't believe it'll be easy on a limited budget
Im pulling 11.6X right now. My budget is limited for alil bit because of personal reason but will open back up soon but till then the little stuff i'd like to get out of the way. I should be dropping into 9s if i decided to spary but havent yet that 11 second pass was all motor even on that ten bolt with stock axles
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Isn't that the front drive distributor? Could be wrong though....
yes and it sucks very very much
Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have the LT4 intake already, get the Edelbrock LT1/4 intake. It's around $500 atm for the LT4. The LT1 is cheaper but from the distrib I talked to on here, it's the same price right now since it's not in good supply. You'll be much much happier with it, since STOCK it is ported to what a nicely ported LT4 is, and still has room to go. So for less $$, you get an LT4 with room to go. It's good you got the BBK to mate it to, those are the best ones IMO. Too many have complained about the Holley. You should be able to do 6Ks. I've been running 5,800 on mine all the time, and I don't know how old it is. I just got the car around 2K miles ago. I can only assume it's not in it's prime lol I can only HOPE it's not stock with 96K :S As for heads, you might as well price out LE3's and compare it to how stock AFRs run.

I too am also very very curious on that custom rig. Mostly, the price lol We all pretty well know the function since he's sticking with it

Quick Reply: LT1 Coil Pack Conversion, modifications