LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GRR. Different Problem. Won't start when cold but cranks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default GRR. Different Problem. Won't start when cold but cranks!

Getting fuel as i can hear the pump and put in a new filter 2 days ago. Just changed the opti to brand new GM one and new plugs and wires. Now when the motor is cold from sitting overnight it didn't start. It fired up then shut down. Now it just cranks. I have NO IDEA what it is now maybe Ignition Control Module(ICM)? any idea's?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

it's also got a new fuel pump from racetronix. It ran GREAT the night i got the opti installed. Then yesterday i started it up and it fired right up. Went down the road and it felt like it was gonna stall when i gave it gas. Pulled over and reved it and it's like it went away and ran GREAT all day. Then today it will crank and fire, just not start. If i push the gas to WOT it'll start to fire up then dead, back to just cranking. I put a MSD coil in but maybe it's bad? Any other idea's?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

well update. Just went and pulled the wire from the opti that goes from the coil. Put it against the TB linkage and the spark is yellow and VERY weak coming from the coil. Probably a coil huh? Should be BRIGHT blue and arc about 1" but it was less then 1/2" long arc and was weak looking. Any other idea's? i'm gonna swap out the coil and see if it fixes it. If not i'll try the ICM...

P.S. sorry for the basically worthless post I am still open to idea's though of other things to look for....
Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to resurect this from the dead, but I have tried searching (obviously). My friend as a 93 Z28 with the same problem after installing a new opti and water pump.

All sensors on the car are under a year old. Car runs great when warmed up but when cold, it just cranks. You have to hold the throttle open and then it runs like crap till engine warms up.

Quick Reply: GRR. Different Problem. Won't start when cold but cranks!