LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Question - How would you know...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti Question - How would you know...

Car's a 95z28, which is a vented Opti as far as I know.

Here goes,

I have been having cooling issues since I purchased my Z in march. I had the car for about 2 weeks and it blew a hose and soaked the motor bay. I purchased a set of new hoses, goodyear stuff, did the whole job. Then the water pump started to leak. I replaced the water pump. You might ask were I am going with this, so here goes, Should I replace my opti? I mean its been wet a couple of times with the water pump failing and weeping on it and that hose blowing. What are the signs of a damaged opti spark unit? The car's idle isnt as smooth and I remember it beeing, but in the mean time I have also made other modifications (headers stall ect). Do I need to put the car on a scope or something? Any help on this one would be good, as I am new to the OPTI game.

Matt
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
KTM
On The Tree

The couple that I have had go out (on various different cars) have all done different things..the only common thing is that it runs like major crap...there was no doubt something was seriously wrong. So, my advice is: If you 'think' it may be idling a little rougher than you remember....stop worrying and drive it. You will certainly know if the opti starts to unload on you.

Also, getting it wet is a long term problem. You could drowned the thing today and drive it for a couple months at least before you have trouble. The getting it wet thing just makes it rust inside and then the corrosion makes it difficult for the sensor to see the little slots in the disk. That is what kills the non-vented ones. They condensate on the inside and rust. The vented ones keep air moving through and don't have the tendancy to condensate on the inside.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,

I figured I was just being a nervous nancy.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

When mine died it was very hard to start the car, wouldn't hardly idle and part throttle response would crap out real bad.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine went out it wouldnt start at all and it started making a white dense smoke come out of the exhaust. Smelt it and it was all gas coming out. If it does not want to start i wouldnt recommend try to keep turning it over if that happens to you. Cost me a lot more in the long run. haha NoOb mistake i guess live and learn
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second time went out i drove in a flooded are and it drove for about 200 yards and started stalling out and then it dies. Sucks. Trust me you while know when it goes out