LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

O2 sensor live readings

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
KTM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor live readings

Had a little incident of massively running rich the other day..that mysteriously went away all by itself nearly as fast as it started...all out of the blue..so doing some driving around with my scanner plugged in and watching the readings of all the devices. The O2 sensors are all over the place. They change from 20 to 900 mV as fast as the meter can change the numbers. They are up and down constantly - doesn't matter if accelerating, decelerating, idling. And I mean the numbers are changing really really fast. Is this normal ? I think when I first started it up they were holding steady and slowly climbing in value...as things heated up. Then they just went berzerk and were up and down & all over the place the remainder of the trip to work. I almost think they started jumping around about the same time the computer went to closed loop control. Anybody have any experience with these things ? Are they acting normal ? Or are they on the brink of faliure? It did seem to drive fine all the way here. The other day when it starting acting up - it was really bad - massive smoke and running on about 4 cylinders...so something is intermittenly on its way out. All good this morning - but the O2 readings seem awful strange to me....
Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Perfectly normal. They are supposed to cycle like that. Only time they shouldn't be cycling is when the engine is in open loop or when you are WOT.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
KTM
On The Tree

OK. Thanks ! I'll keep looking at other things then....I'm thinking maybe something stuck to the MAF and created my rich condition...filter oil possibly.....sat for a couple days and dried out/dripped off ??? I've heard others have trouble with MAF when running a K&N style oiled filter.