LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone ever sealed a nonvented opti? And need opinions for cap and rotor.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever sealed a nonvented opti? And need opinions for cap and rotor.

Well if you remember my thread from a couple days ago my car was acting weird. If not here is a reminder https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/736496-not-good-sound-video-included.html.

Well my mechanic said its just missing real bad. I kinda knew that from the backfiring but still don't understand how it caused the popping noise I was hearing. And the check engine light never came on? He said the opti probably has oil in it and its "slipping" causing the miss. He says that because obviously he drove it and looked at it on the lift where he noticed a little oil leak from the timing cover. Anyway the opti has at most 10k miles on it and I don't wash my engine bay...EVER! So he says he will try to warranty the opti at the dealership and if they won't then he will replace the cap and rotor because the rest should still be good. My question is if we do just the cap and rotor should I do GM part, MSD part, or autozone/advance part?

Also this will be on my 94 T/A with a nonvented opti. Has anyone ever sealed their opti with like silicone or RTV? I'd be interested if this would work to keep out everything? Or would the vented MSD be my best bet? I'm just trying to get ideas for now because this coming week is when he will have time to tear into it and diagnose the problem for sure and whether or not he can warranty the opti for a whole new one.

Last edited by porksoda; 06-24-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

I had oil kill the opti on my truck when the waterpump drive seal started leaking. All I had sealed up on it was the three holes on the bottom.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

No one has sealed a stock opti with anything?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most I'd do is spray it with teflon, the outside, to bead off water.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always kinda wondered if it would do any good to put a bead of silicone on the lip above where the opti seats (on the timing cover). The bottom part of the lip has a break in it, I suppose to allow liquid to drain. If you had a half circle of silicone on the top, seems like it would help keep water and oil out. This is on an unvented opti btw. Don't think the vented has the raised lips in the middle.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever sealed a nonvented opti? And need opinions for cap and rotor.