LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Building an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an LT1

I'm at a point where I'd like to build up my motor. I spent months debating building up an LTx versus doing an LSx swap, and I'd like to do the LTx motor for the sake of not following the crowd...and I'm not looking to do 8s.

The purpose of this thread is to gather opinions, advice, and experience of building up the internals of an LTx motor, preferably on nitrous and built for the 1/4.

Now how it applies to me is that I will be using nitrous, and would like to build a platform around that. My goal (with all supporting mods) will be to run 10s on motor and then spray ~200 shot safely.

Let the discussion begin..
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I could give you advice man, but I'm in the same boat. Well sort of lol. I'm sporting the LT1 and definitely want to keep it. With only 38k on the motor it would be a shame not to.

I've started to explore my options here, and this seems like a thread I would have made. I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

I know Lloyd Elliot does fantastic work but I want to build the car up myself. What are some other options? Is there a sticky for LT1 camshafts also? Didn't see one for LT1s.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Ya, that's exactly why I started this...to bring everything together. I hear a lot about Lloyd Elliot stuff, but I'd also like to build something myself. I work at a machine shop so doing block and head machining isn't a problem. I would like to know people's combinations of parts, or at least opinions of things like that. Some might look at that as 'giving away secrets'...but those who have built them know there is a lot more to building an engine than just parts..
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To reach the goals you have set you can get there a few different ways. My suggestion is this.......

396 stroker with flat top forged pistons and 6" rods. Make the compression ratio about 11.5:1 . Get a good set of stage III heads from one of our supporting vendors such as PortPros, LE,.......etc and have them spec you out a good cam that will work with nitrous and not hurt your n/a power too much. You can use a stock ported intake with a 58mm throttle body to reach that goal along with all the supporting bolt-ons. Pick out the right tire and gear ratio and do not forget about suspension mods.

If you are building this yourself. Take your time and do not be afraid to ask questions. It should be a .030 over bore so gap your rings about 26 top and 28 bottom. I would go with a Cometic head gasket. If you zero deck your block and change the cc of your heads you will need to calculate compression to get your gasket thickness. Nitrous motors love compression so the more you can safely get the better. Just depends on what octane fuel you will be using and how much driving you will be doing. I could go on forever but I am not exactly sure where to take you at this point without you telling me more info.

If I were building this motor here is what it would be:

Callies,Cola, or Eagle 3.875 forged crank
Lunati 6" rods
JE or Wiseco nitrous pistons
Hellfire rings
Clevite rods,mains, cam bearings
HV oil pump
Canton oil pan
Block zero decked, clearance, 1/4 filled, bored .030 over
Cometic head gaskets
ARP bolts (all)
ATI dampner
Custom grind cam (242/250 590/592 110lsa)ish...depends on head flow..etc
Double roller timing chain
PortPros stage III heads
Comp Cam pro-mag 1.6 self aligning rockers
Comp Cam push rods
lifters (not sure which ones are good now) Morel?
AS&M 58mm throttle body
Hooker Long tube headers
42lb injectors

For the nitrous system I love how smooth direct port kits work. They come on smooth and really distribute evenly over plate systems or single nozzle kits. Now....if I were choosing a plate kit because direct port options are too high, It would be the Nitrous Outlet LT1 plate kit. There are also some very good nitrous vendors on this site that can help you out.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

I'm in the same boat. I want to build a stroker and get the car running 9's next year on the bottle. 10's on the motor and still be able to drive it on the street. I will be going with a direct port kit.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

If you're interested i am selling a motor, 383 stroker, that would put you way ahead of the game. would need a few things to hold a huge shot like u want to run but its already pumping 400hp to the wheels with stock ported heads and a less than .600 lift cam.

get some portpro's heads and a big shot and you're well on your way ALOT cheaper and sooner than it would take to go ground up. and my set up only has 7k miles.

i can put it on a pallet, strap it down, wrap it in plastic and send it out this weekend. pm me for more info

Quick Reply: Building an LT1