LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

driveshaft sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driveshaft sound

ok does any one else get this problem? when i start off in first, even if i take off nice and smooth i can hear the drive shaft or sutmhing tunring, sounds like how those big trucks sound when they take off, i don't hear it if i launch it hard i don't know if something is rubbing or its jsut rusty, its been like that since i got it, a little over a year ago. does anyone else with a M6 hear that? or know what it is?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could it be the rear calipers hitting the rotors? There was a bulletin out on this from GM... that repuired a shimm to be put in. Mine does it but mostly in reverse or hard cornering.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheTransporter69
ok does any one else get this problem? when i start off in first, even if i take off nice and smooth i can hear the drive shaft or sutmhing tunring, sounds like how those big trucks sound when they take off, i don't hear it if i launch it hard i don't know if something is rubbing or its jsut rusty, its been like that since i got it, a little over a year ago. does anyone else with a M6 hear that? or know what it is?

I have a whine in mine that's only in 1st gear that I think sounds similar to what you're describing. only happens when I take off slow, and almost sounds like straight cut gears or something, except its not a continuous whine, its intermitant like its only part of the gear or something.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 92LT1RS
I have a whine in mine that's only in 1st gear that I think sounds similar to what you're describing. only happens when I take off slow, and almost sounds like straight cut gears or something, except its not a continuous whine, its intermitant like its only part of the gear or something.

yeah, that seems aobut how mine is but i just don't think id call it a while its more of a grind like i said like when u see big feed truck take off that sound from their tranny/driveshaft. but yeah i was jw if this is normal and it seems common, so i guess im not to worried.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

if it's more of a grinding sound I'd investigate to find out what it is. strange noises aren't supposed to come from these things, I just happen to know what mine is from.