LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Big problem, please help with computer moniters!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big problem, please help with computer moniters!!

Hey guys, i have a 96 ws6 6 spd i just bought. It had an ses light on when i bought it, i have a tech 2 flash and it said my o2s were no good. I bought sims, put them in, and no more codes. The problem is in my state i need to get emmissons done before i get plates, i have driven the car 70 miles to do a drive cycle, I can check all the moniters with the tech 2, and it says all the moniters are set, but the o2, and the cat are INC. The car cant be tested, do to the moniters not being set. The car like i said has no ses light, and no codes what so ever, the kid i bought the car from said the cats were punched out, and i dont want to buy new cats, and new 02s when im planning ondoing long tubes and no cats anyway. What the hell is going on? Am i not doing the drive cycle right? Im goin on the highway at about 55-60, do you think i dont have enough miles on it? I cant get plates with out this, what can i do!!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not running O2 sims on the Left and Right bank sensors are you? :O They're only meant for the post cat O2s. It's there to read the cat/s, but doesn't do anything other than that, which is why they made a Sim for them. If there is no cat, or a punched out cat (no cat internals), then the O2 reads a bad cat and that's your cue to replace it. As far as it effecting how your car performs for the sniffer, it won't be any different. However w/o a cat it's a fair bet you won't pass anyways.

3 things you can do. Get that fuel additive that lets you pass (actually works from what people have said on here), put in new cats, or plug the O2 sensors back in and try and hide your Sims from sight. Or if you want to be ballsy, and you're worried about them seeing your SES light, pull the dash apart quick and remove the bulb >_>

Or, if I totally don't understand what you're asking, sorry :\
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nono no, im not getting a check engine light, and they scan the car, the moniters that see the o2 sensors arent set so they cant test it since they arent set. i have them on the post o2 sensors but will they set the moniters, or just shut the ses light off? this sucks!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

I was told that you only need 3 of the 5 emissions functions to be working to pass and no SES lights. Just pulling the SES bulb wo't work the computer will know as soon as they plug it in. But with no Cats unless you can lean it right out i don't know how you would pass the sniffer.

I tuned my rear O2's out with LT1 edit, I have yet to have to go to emissions testing but it is coming soon. That program could possibly help and you would be able to tune your car anytime, any mod after that but it is expensive.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glock, why'd you make another thread?

And I guess I can't help ya, your wording is confusing the hell out of me. One line you say the Sims are in and working fine, the next you are asking if they'll set off the SES. Well if they're working right, and you don't have an SES light showing, then all is fine. Their scanner will scan and see a "Passing" rear O2 sensor. That's what the sim does, it sends a passing signal to your PCM. So for all they know your cats are fine and your rear O2s are too. If they look under the car though, and see those 2 O2 simulators hooked up, then you're in trouble.

Again, your problem is passing the sniffing portion.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

formula, your not listening. there is no visual for me, my friend does the test, thats no problem. I DONT have an ses light, never did, the o2 sims are in and working fine, this is not what my question is about.

In ct, you need ALL 5 moniters set to pass emissions, the 3 of the 5 moniters on my car are set and ready to go, except 02, and cat, i have no codes or light like i said, they are keeping my ses light off, but will they set the moniters in the computer??? how many miles are you guys putting on your car during drive cycle? I only have 9 days untill my plates expire, thats why i posted another thread.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt tell an expert that they are not listening when you are asking for their help....or they might give you a big
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I've heard some people say it takes several hundred miles for them to set, I believe its either that or something like 50 ignition cycles.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
And I guess I can't help ya, your wording is confusing the hell out of me. One line you say the Sims are in and working fine, the next you are asking if they'll set off the SES. Well if they're working right, and you don't have an SES light showing, then all is fine. Their scanner will scan and see a "Passing" rear O2 sensor.
He is referring to the readiness monitors, this is obd2 specific, not the dtc which sets for no cats.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah ok. I haven't weaseled my nose into the OBD2 scene yet. My apologies for the aggravation Glock
Old 07-06-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

form, no problem at all, thanks for tryin to help me out! i found the drive cycle for obd2, and it takes 5 complete drive cycles, and several hundreded miles to complete