LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can you identify these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default can you identify these?

first off, i bought my car as a restoration project, and i have recently finished up the suspension and brakes. it is currently throwing codes for EGR (removed and blocked), AIR (i think the same thing), and a misfire. i know the evap valve is stuck open, and my fans wont come on. i have new headers, a y-pipe, and plugs and wires to go in. while i was visualizing everything today i was also examining the car for other potential issues and i found this.

the hose is dry rotted and cracked. the other end goes into the passenger side valve cover.

the hose has a section taken out of it.

am i missing something?

again, looks as if something should be here.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the bad hoses replace them.... and those other 2 things are just a/c valves... they should have caps that screw into them to prevent dirt from getting in there but yout not missing anything by those...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am curious to know what the hoses are, so i know what to get to replace them.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Just emission hoses. it should run just the same.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

top picture : hose going from the side of the throttle body to the valve cover is part of the crankcase ventilation. replace the hose or remove it totally (cap off the Throttle body and put in a breather in the valve cover). JUST, whichever you do, dont leave that gaping hole in the hose cause its a huge vacuum leak into the throttle body.

Second hose looks like the hoses for the AC system. There should be two tubes/hoses that come off the AC compressor. Dont know the P/N but, and cant seem to find a more specific name other than AC compressor/condenser hose.

As for those AC valves missing their caps... not a big deal, just where you do your draining and recharging of the refrigerant.

You also might want to inspect the rubber intake elbow for any tears/cuts.

Last edited by hyperzone; 07-06-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks hyperzone. i know the hose with the chunk missing from it has warm air coming from it when the engine is running. i figured the cracked one was some kind of pcv line. im trying to figure where all the missing power is coming from.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That PCV line is your only problem.

The frayed hose shroud is nothing to worry about since the hose itself is fine and unscathed. Think of that black piece as your pants, if they're ripped, your leg isn't broken right?

As stated, just to reassure, those 2 lines are the AC High and Low side, and there is no problem there.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transmaro93
as for the bad hoses replace them.... and those other 2 things are just a/c valves... they should have caps that screw into them to prevent dirt from getting in there but yout not missing anything by those...
Those two ports without caps really need their caps, the schrader valves in them are not supposed to keep refrigerant from leaking out while you are driving around, they are there for convenience when recharging the system the caps that screw into them are actually what is supposed to keep refrigerant from leaking out during daily use, the valves just keep refrigerant from leaking out during the hour or so you are recharging the system.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
The frayed hose shroud is nothing to worry about since the hose itself is fine and unscathed. Think of that black piece as your pants, if they're ripped, your leg isn't broken right?
if you look closely it is more than frayed. a wedge is completely missing from the hose, almost as if someone peeled it like a carrot.

also, my A/C doesnt work, so getting the hose fixed might help solve that problem
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt worry bout the A/C to much, its over rated, and thats what the t-tops are for. but the hose for the tbody, either replace or cap off.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Launching!

The line running next to the Alt. is A/C compresser suction line that runs from the compressor to the TXV. The Niples are A/C High and low side service fittings. The schrader valves and newer style 134a fittings are to loose the least amount of 134a when using the fittings. The plastic caps are missing keep crap out of them sothen nothing gets inside when servicing the A/C system. You will also need to replace the Acum. if you are wanting it all to work right.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
if you look closely it is more than frayed. a wedge is completely missing from the hose, almost as if someone peeled it like a carrot.

also, my A/C doesnt work, so getting the hose fixed might help solve that problem
Can't see that from your pics, sorry.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Those two ports without caps really need their caps, the schrader valves in them are not supposed to keep refrigerant from leaking out while you are driving around, they are there for convenience when recharging the system the caps that screw into them are actually what is supposed to keep refrigerant from leaking out during daily use, the valves just keep refrigerant from leaking out during the hour or so you are recharging the system.

The caps are there to keep dirt out of them, not keep freon from leaking out.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 9730thanvz28
i wouldnt worry bout the A/C to much, its over rated, and thats what the t-tops are for.
What if you don't have dem dere fancy T-tops..
I got the good-ole Hard Top and dem roll-down Winders..

It's late and I'm bored..
Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
What if you don't have dem dere fancy T-tops..
I got the good-ole Hard Top and dem roll-down Winders..
Then it's 2x80.

2 Windows x 80mph
Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

You don't know me well enough..it's more like 2x110..
It will be back on the road soon..
Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24

The caps are there to keep dirt out of them, not keep freon from leaking out.

You a certified a/c technician? Were you taught by one? The service ports were never intended to be constantly expose. Look at the underside of the caps, theres a small rubber seal(assuming you don't pull your caps off regularily and have lost the seal already). That seal ain't to keep dirt out, its to keep pressure in.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

You a certified a/c technician? Were you taught by one? The service ports were never intended to be constantly expose. Look at the underside of the caps, theres a small rubber seal(assuming you don't pull your caps off regularily and have lost the seal already). That seal ain't to keep dirt out, its to keep pressure in.
Open Mouth..insert foot.

Do you honestly think that those little Caps will hold the pressure from the AC in..do you know how much pressure is in that system? Them little Rubber Caps won't hold it in..

That Cap is to keep them Valves from being exposed, and that little Rubber Seal is to keep then sealed up from water and ****.
Try this..I bet if you pull your Caps off and run the AC..nothin comes out of them..

Yes, they are there to keep them from being exposed, I'll give you that one..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the caps do help to keep the freon in there, use a sniffer while running the system and it will go off, put the caps back on and no leak, take a real AC course sometime thell show you little stuff you would never think if, does it leak a lot no, but over a year or 2 it could be a 1/2 lb of freon witch would cut back on the cooling.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Launching!

YES and I am the teacher! THE CAPS ARE NOT TO DO ANYTHING BUT KEEP THE TAPS CLEAN. Your talking about pressure of 270 PSI and a little rubber seal on a platic cap is not going to hold it. HVAC engineering is what I do for one of the biggers suppliers to heavy truck and auto makers. So before taste your knee caps better learn what parts are.