LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Build the LT1 or get an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build the LT1 or get an LS1?

Alright, something is wrong with my car and I have another LT1 block sitting in the garage. I can't decide if I want to buy an LS1 with a 6-speed transmission used on ebay, or if I want to build up my LT1 in the garage and get a 6-speed...The car is an A4 and if I'm going to do a motor swap, I want a 6-speed just because it will be more fun.

What kind of things could I do to the LT1 to make good power? I want about 400Rwhp and stay reasonably reliable. Whether that means going with an LS1, or staying with the LT1...I would like to go the cheapest route as well. What I mean by that is, if an LS1 is going to take a lot more money for the swap, I mine as well just keep the LT1, since both cars will be making essentially the same amount of power...The only reason why I mention getting an LS1, is because I found a used motor and 6-speed transmission on ebay for 1600 with 79k on it. I figured that could be a good 295Rwhp right there and I could throw an LS6 cam in it, with some LS6 heads and a few bolt ons and be right around 400Rwhp...Although, the shipping is about 400 bucks for the LS1. That's 2,000 without mods...Which is why I started thinking about the LT1 in the garage, but I have no idea how much a 6-speed transmission would be...

Help me out guys. What do you think, build the LT1? Please list the setup you think I should do and the approximate price. I'm going to get the 6-speed and motor put in professionally. I want this to be a good running LT1. Live on the 93-97 body style! lol
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

A good LT1 T56 will cost you atleast $1500.

Me personally, I had a damn good LT1, but switched over to the LSX side cause right now the aftermarket is cheap and plentiful, and after doing what I did, the swap is not that hard to do.
That and I am goin to make all kinds of power for what money I have invested into it.
That Ebay deal sounds alright..the price might go up on it. Me personally I would re-build anything I got off of Ebay.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

I'm thinking now I should just build the LT1 up and keep the A4...I'm sure it will still be plenty fast. More consistent as well. It seems like the manual swap will cost a lot of money and it really wouldn't make my car any faster...I could use that money for more mods, like a stall, or when my stock tranny breaks...

Any imput on what I should do to build up this LT1?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decent h/c and supporting mods. Nothin wrong with the LT1. good old engines, plus ya get the underdog deal goin and the look on an LSx guys face when ya beat them is PRICELESS! Also get a good stall. that will help tramendously.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a nice LE package on the LT1, good stall, and some rear gears should put you around your goal, for around a decent price, check out Elliotportworks.com if you havn't already

Quick Reply: Build the LT1 or get an LS1?