LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ported and Polished TB????HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported and Polished TB????HELP

So i bought a Throttle body for my LT1 the other day and i was wondering if i can port and polish it bigger and if i can what tools do i need and what steps should i take in prep work and the job itself, thanks. I don't know what year the TB cam off of, all i know it was 15$.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Well honestly I would just stay with the stocker, until you do more serious mods, for a few reasons, aside from the fact that you won't really see much gain on a mostly stock car.

1. If you don't know what year it is off of, then it might not even work for your car
2. Since you have an auto, I would not recommend porting your TB unless you can also tune it for that.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Said it before, I'll say it again If you don't know what tools you'll need, chances are you won't know how to port it. You need new throttle plates as well. Should've just bought a ported stocker to start with for $150, since a drill press is about $150
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
Said it before, I'll say it again If you don't know what tools you'll need, chances are you won't know how to port it. You need new throttle plates as well. Should've just bought a ported stocker to start with for $150, since a drill press is about $150

what for drill press do you have for 150 bucks, must be a little guy, my 12 inch ryobi was 200 bucks, my big craftman 17 inch was 550, and even so with a drill press your not boring out a TB, you need a true mill to bore one out right.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Well honestly I would just stay with the stocker, until you do more serious mods, for a few reasons, aside from the fact that you won't really see much gain on a mostly stock car.

1. If you don't know what year it is off of, then it might not even work for your car
2. Since you have an auto, I would not recommend porting your TB unless you can also tune it for that.
Agreed.

But if you are dead set on getting a ported throttle body, cruise on eBay. There is a gentleman on there that goes by name seller ID MJBlum or MJBMachine. In his spare time he cleans, bead blasts, and ports stock throttle bodies out to 52mm from the factory 48. He puts in larger blades and it operates extremely smoothly.

Side Note: He can also make any throttle body plate you want, in any color. Real straight up guy to work with.

Here is what mine looked like right out of the box:
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it'd be a littler one for $150. Also yes you'd need a mill to do it right, I'm just saying to do it, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get away with a press. But if you work at a machine shop, you'd be set!

Officer, yours looks really good. Did he put the airfoil on it too?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Launching!

ok i guess il buy one and when i get some money ill buy all the requierd tools to do it myself, hey even if i don't know whos gonna teach me right, gotta learn it myself anyways man. Thanks guys. Ill check up that ebay guy.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well again, it'll cost you way more to do than buying one already ported.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yes, it'd be a littler one for $150. Also yes you'd need a mill to do it right, I'm just saying to do it, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get away with a press. But if you work at a machine shop, you'd be set!

Officer, yours looks really good. Did he put the airfoil on it too?
I sent him my airfoil and an extra throttle body, and he did all of the work to match the foil to the larger TB openings as well as cleaning it up and putting in the larger blades.

He isn't a supporting vendor so I won't go into specifics, but I'm pretty sure he still sells them on the side to his normal Machine Shop business that he does. PM me if you'd like more details.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by losaltos6
ok i guess il buy one and when i get some money ill buy all the requierd tools to do it myself, hey even if i don't know whos gonna teach me right, gotta learn it myself anyways man. Thanks guys. Ill check up that ebay guy.

Hmmm buying a 5000 used 10000 new milling machine just to port throttle bodys