LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head/cam package, what do I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/cam package, what do I get?

Alright, I'm trying to find a heads/cam package to buy. Do you guys know any good packages I can buy that will get me over 400Rwhp, or close to? It's a 94 automatic Z28 with bolt ons. (no stall)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard nothing but good things about the LE packages. But you might want to think about that tranny if your gonna be putting that much power to it, unless you have a built unit. But since you dont have a stall, I would assume that your tranny is stockish. Also do you have all the supporting bolt-ons, and what are you using it for, street, strip, both, or daily driver?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I have heard nothing but good things about the LE packages. But you might want to think about that tranny if your gonna be putting that much power to it, unless you have a built unit. But since you dont have a stall, I would assume that your tranny is stockish. Also do you have all the supporting bolt-ons, and what are you using it for, street, strip, both, or daily driver?
I figure the tranny will eventually go, but I'll deal with that when it happens...Getting a stall will pretty much guarantee that it will break. The tranny is pretty solid for now. There are people with bolt ons and a 200shot with the stock tranny and it lives. Not for long, but deal with it as it comes I guess...

This is going to be a street car daily driver. So, i'm not going to do a whole lot of big time dig launches to screw the car up...More of a highway car I guess you could say...

The car has LT headers, matching Y-pipe, cut-out, Cai, 160 thermostat, and a tune. (it's a 94)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like Advanced Induction and am making somewhere around that power. This time of year I drive the car almost daily enough to have put over 10K on it in the little over a year that I have had the heads and cam.

Thing is a stock stall will be a big mistake, a high stall is not so bad for a tranny, a good one is actually easier on the tranny and does not have the heat problems usually associated with high stalls.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

LE2

www.eportworks.com
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aforementioned companies are good. Also see www.portpros.com
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

How is it that the rest of you are not supporting my "stock stall is a mistake" comment?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM
8 Second Club

I will support that statement. You will need to upgrade to a higher stall. Kinda depends on what cam you get but anything would be better than a stock stall.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

I also agree, lose the stock stall. A higher stall will absorb some of the shock of the greater power, but if you go with a higher stall, make sure you keep your temps down, so you will want to add another cooler to help the stock cooler. Typically to achieve those kind of HP numbers, you will have a pretty aggressive camshaft with a lot of duration, which will make power up top. With the stock stall, you will not properly utilize the new power band of your car.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

And when you get a stall make sure you get a good one, yank and vig are the 2 most popular ones. Whatever you do stay away from the ebay restalled ones. And make sure you match your stall to your combo. Call up wherever you are going to buy the setup from and talk to them and they should be able to recommend a good stall for you.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
How is it that the rest of you are not supporting my "stock stall is a mistake" comment?
Sorry

Yes, 96Capricemgr is correct.
You can use stock stall, but you won't like it.
You had might as well put the new TC in while you have the car in pieces.
You'll just end up going back and doing later.

I put a 3200 in while I was doing the H/C and later swapped it out for a 4000.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
And when you get a stall make sure you get a good one, yank and vig are the 2 most popular ones. Whatever you do stay away from the ebay restalled ones. And make sure you match your stall to your combo. Call up wherever you are going to buy the setup from and talk to them and they should be able to recommend a good stall for you.
I agree 100%
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock stall for stock cars and even then

stock stall with 400 rwhp... you'll be lucky if you get a couple of runs out it
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

LE2 Heads/GM847 Cam/Fuddle Racing 3400 Stall/CPT Pro Race 4L60E

382 rwhp
368 rwtq

Stock Injectors/ Stock Throttle Body/ Stock Ignition

I have nothing but good things to say about Lloyd Elliot. Stand up guy, with great turn around and prices, and awsome customer service!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will say go for the high stall,but be ready to rebuild that tranny.invest in a nice trans cooler too.torque kills trannys and thats what stalls do (mutiply torque) i know this from extensive practice in trying to get my tranny to stay together.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

You probably don't want to hear this, but honestly I'd think about buying a daily driver before doing a heads/cam swap. I did and it was the best decision I've made so far about my Camaro
Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

At one point my car was cammed/stalled/geared/headers etc. and still my only transportation to the tune of 20K a year. A deer totalled it and I had to buy the wagon while I rebuilt the Caprice, in the end while I wish it never happened it has worked out well. I still drive the Caprice around 10K a year but since I have a spare car now I don't have to worry about getting a mod done before monday morning or about breaking it so much anymore.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
You probably don't want to hear this, but honestly I'd think about buying a daily driver before doing a heads/cam swap. I did and it was the best decision I've made so far about my Camaro
What does that mean?

Are you guys saying that with a heads/cam swap the car is going to become unreliable and will break all the time? I don't see why it would...

Also, I understand that a stall will utilize my power better and make the torque curve better, but this isn't going to be a track car...A stall will make my dyno numbers a bit lower, but the car will be a lot faster from a dig. I don't see there being a huge difference between me getting a 2800 stall with a heads/cam setup and having the stock stall with a heads/cam setup from a 50 roll...This will be more of a highway vehicle and a stall wouldn't really be too necessary for that.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
stock stall for stock cars and even then

stock stall with 400 rwhp... you'll be lucky if you get a couple of runs out it
lol, what does that mean? If I don't get a stall with a heads/cam setup my car is going to blow up? All a stall is going to do is break the transmission right away. Wouldn't it make more sense to say: "with a stall, you'll be lucky to get a couple runs out of it..."?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

As was said above a stall acts like a shock absorber in the drivetrain, some of the better tranny builder actually strongly prefer you use a small diameter high stall converter with their builds.

The "stalls blow up trannies" is either an OLD belief or a copout by bad builders, not reality.

I did a cam before the stall, gained almost nothing till I gave it a stall. I am a big enough man to admit that was a mistake and hope to help others avoid repeating it.

You can either listen to us and do this right the first time or you can go back and do things twice.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Would this be the same with all A4 cars including LS1's?

Also, how would a 2800 stall do me and how much do they run? I wouldn't really want any more than a 3200 and I would get a tranny cooler as well.

I guess I'll go with a stall so I don't make a mistake. Do you guys think I will need a different intake manifold, or will the stock one be fine? I was thinking that an LT4 intake manifold would be better and would give me more power, but it that necessary? I really didn't want to get that because they are so expensive and Lloyd Elliot didn't mention anything...

Quick Reply: Head/cam package, what do I get?