LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

alternator relocating

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator relocating

I'm new here so first of all I want to say hi.

Does anyone know how i can relocate my alternator without losing my power steering?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard.

This will do it:

http://www.speedspecialty.com/store/...t1altbracketV2

The instructions recommend deleting the ABS module because it brings the alternator extremely close to it, but some have gotten away with doing some clearancing on the modulator and had no problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I've seen that one before but I like to keep it on the passenger side of the car. I've seen the kit before but I can't remember where.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome. Can't remember the name of the company but I'll find it if someone else doesn't post up. The bracket I used from this company allows you to keep your AC and your PS as-is while relocating the alt to the driver side where the smog air pump used to go (assuming you've removed it). It tucks up nice out of the way. I'll find it, but try a search and maybe someone else here has it as well or knows the company's name. They also make a rear seat delete kit and a couple of other oddball items.

ok...edit...soundfury for the win that's the one I use and it works great.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black96Z
I've seen that one before but I like to keep it on the passenger side of the car. I've seen the kit before but I can't remember where.
are you keeping your AC? If not there is a bracket that I've seen built not sure it's a produced item from a shop, maybe.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

The ac doesn't work so I will be removing it to shed some weight.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

The ac doesn't work so I will be removing it to shed some weight.
done the same here, I relocated mine to free up room on the pass side and also to run tall valve covers. The one I saw someone fabbed themselves and reworked the existing AC brkt for the alternator, looked ok but surely someone builds one for it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what about if you relocated your alternator and lost the ac and power steering already... is it possible to keep the car running right?? i wouldnt know yet because i have yet to start my car since ive even put the motor back in the car mmuch less all the other goodies ive removed.. i need help
Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28hustle
what about if you relocated your alternator and lost the ac and power steering already... is it possible to keep the car running right?? i wouldnt know yet because i have yet to start my car since ive even put the motor back in the car mmuch less all the other goodies ive removed.. i need help
yeah, I mean why wouldn't it be? You're idle might need adjustment now that you have a tiny bit of load off the car. The AC in neutral (clutch non-engaged and the PS pump do not load that much on the engine so it should run just fine.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately, that's the only bolt-on "kit" available for LT1's.

I have this Zoops bracket which I bought to relocate my power steering pump to a low driver's position:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...acketzoops.jpg

With that bracket, I had originally intended to have a setup similar to this:

The Zoops power steering bracket has a sliding mechanism on it, so that you can adjust how far in or out the pump sits which makes it pretty easy to align the pullies. You could duplicate this setup pretty easily if you bought a Madman alternator relocation bracket for a low passenger's side mount, like this:
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=166&sid=604

The only downside about the stock power steering pump is that it's vaned to spin counter-clockwise, so using any kind've aftermarket bracket setup pretty much renders it useless. You'll have to get a "TC" style power steering pump that's vaned to spin clockwise. I still have that Zoops power steering bracket. If you're interested, I could cut you a deal on it.

This would be the closest to a "bolt on" setup as you're going to get. Other than that, you're looking at having to custom fab something.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well all of the powerr steering stuff that was connected to the accessory bracket is gone (hoses and all). so yea its just my alternator and crank down there (which looks so much cooler IMHO) but i was trying to get the car out of park the other day (to tow it to a shop because i dont have the correct tools or a decent place on work on it besides the parking lot of my apartment complex) and cant get a "friend" to help me finish this up to save my soul it seems like.. this thing is getting so frustrating right now. not to mention the guy that sold me the car lost the keys... so i cant get it to shif out of park for some reason.. ugg i dont know if i wanna blow the car up or finish this project up sometimes.. sorry guys. just needed to vent..

Last edited by z28hustle; 07-10-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any one here ride without the power steering??
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

well all of the powerr steering stuff that was connected to the accessory bracket is gone (hoses and all). so yea its just my alternator and crank down there (which looks so much cooler IMHO) but i was trying to get the car out of park the other day (to tow it to a shop because i dont have the correct tools or a decent place on work on it besides the parking lot of my apartment complex) and cant get a "friend" to help me finish this up to save my soul it seems like.. this thing is getting so frustrating right now. not to mention the guy that sold me the car lost the keys... so i cant get it to shif out of park for some reason.. ugg i dont know if i wanna blow the car up or finish this project up sometimes.. sorry guys. just needed to vent..
good luck with that man, hang in there it's a frustrating hobby once you start tearing into ****...we know all too well.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

any one here ride without the power steering??
I do and it isn't bad with skinnies. I haven't drove it with stock sized wheels, but it would more than likely be a PITA until you got moving.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess im in for some real fun then since i have the 17x9 and 17x11 zr1's then huh.. here it comes again ...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Better hit the gym lol and build up them arms.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i wonder how strong im going to have to be... like major payne strong or johnny bravo look alike strong.. ive been looking into my first cycle of steroids lately anyways...
Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Just don't get roid rage
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i should be fine i just got a new job doing web-design so ill spend most of my time inside anyways unless im messing with the car..
Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a lower mount alternator and made my own Bracket and retained power steering. however I chose not to use the factory pump, I used one from a 95 Buick regal,(new pump) do to it being self contained and hose output location.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/739517-low-mount-alt-custom-ps.html

Quick Reply: alternator relocating