LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 swap into a 3rd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 swap into a 3rd gen.

Trying to sell my motor to a guy wanting to put it in a 3rd gen.

I'm giving him everything including the dash, wiring harness, wires though the firewall, t56, motor and pcm.

He was all down to buy until he talked to some guy in a speed shop who told him it would cost 12k dollars to do the swap for him

needless to say he has very cold feet now. i offered to sell him my whole car for 2k more than he was buying the motor and tranny for, even offered to take 300 off to cover some of the shipping...havnt heard back from him yet...

but i am wondering how hard is the swap? anyone experienced in this field? I think it would be easy for a shop to do or even easy for him to do in his garage....

thoughs and suggestions please!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

it's a very easy swap. I did it working on weekends in about a month in 2001 before very many people knew how to do it. it's not that bad at all. and $12k is absolutely ludicrous. including buying the engine, I completed my swap in our shop for about $3500
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People didn't know about it back in 2001? Hard to believe that one LT1 has been out since 92 and thats when the 3rd gen died. I'm sure it didn't take that long for people for do LS1 swaps into early 4th.

Anyways, 92 is right, it's not hard. I thought you needed the K-Member, but that's for the easy-LS1 swap-in. Fairly same block layout as a Gen0/1 SBC, and the bell housing layout is identical, so transmissions aren't a problem.

$12K, I can't even imagine what all that includes. Maybe a rotisserie resto!?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
People didn't know about it back in 2001? Hard to believe that one LT1 has been out since 92 and thats when the 3rd gen died. I'm sure it didn't take that long for people for do LS1 swaps into early 4th.

I should have rephrased my statement. there was hardly any information posted online at that point about how to do it. I searched for hours trying to find info, and I only found one other guy on thirdgen.org that had done the swap, but he was hard to get ahold of.

Quick Reply: Lt1 swap into a 3rd gen.