LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking opti but hoping not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking opti but hoping not.

Car has ran fine for a while, no coolant leak that i know of, its been real humidy but i can remember going through any big puddles.

Filled up with premium gas the other morning and hit the highway and it would not accelerate very hard. Anything over 2500 and it studdered pretty bad. It made the 25 mile trip to work, then it sat for a few hours and made the 25 mile trip back hope, but same thing, breaks up about 2500.

Seems like opti to me! but is that characteristic of an opti dying? i havnt noticed any problems at all up until that day so i was kind of confused...but it has had a ever increasing back firing problem when id let off the gas and let the rpms slow the car down. Now it does not hold a steady idle very well, starts no problem but idles rough and i have to accelerate slowww or it jerks and sputters.

If it is the opti do i need the whole 500 dollar msd deal or will the msd cap and rotor work?

OR has it been decided its easier and less expensive to swap to the LTCC

Last edited by 95 Camaro Z28; 07-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its the opti you'll need the whole..opti not jus c&r.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get an acdelco opti off ebay, like 300 bucks, i have seen some for around 2 on there also. You dont need the msd.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

get someone to scan if you can---should set codes 16, 41 42 maybe others, if definitely opti, sometimes no codes set---have had both experiences---used GM opti both times, ran about $400
one lasted about 100k, other toasted @ 35k---would run fine until it got upto operating
temp, then you'd swear someone jerked a couple of plug wires off!!!

good luck---about a 5-6 hour dismantle/reinstall for me to do!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

i have the same problem.it also happend right after i filled up! right when i pulled out of the gas station my car felt like no gas got to motor and felt like it was goin to turn off. i kept runnin but felt like air and gas was goin into injectors.my car starts up quick but when i hit the pedal it does not go nowhere and feels like backfiring.my fuel pressure was super low so now i installed a new fuel pump and o2 sensors.my opti is new so i doubt its that.i have a 95 t/a m6 with 100k.ill keep you updated if my problem is fixed! pm if u like
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 Camaro Z28
Now it does not hold a steady idle very well, starts no problem but idles rough and i have to accelerate slowww or it jerks and sputters.
Just for giggles, you might try checking your fuel pressure. With the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line pulled, your pressure at idle should be between 41-47psi. GM rates the "correct" pressure to be at 43.5psi.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Just for giggles, you might try checking your fuel pressure. With the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line pulled, your pressure at idle should be between 41-47psi. GM rates the "correct" pressure to be at 43.5psi.
yeah i can do that, i might be swapping everything i have into a roller so at that time a fresh fuel filter would be smart, so i will toss one on there and see how it goes and go from there.

i was thinking opti because it has been back firing a bit lately so i thought that was a preemptive thing. but i dont have a water pump leak and the car showed no sign of power loss or misfire until right after i filled up with BP premium and high the highway a mile down the road.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Could be a fuel pressure, or bad gas problem.

It could be your opti but I doubt. When my opti started going I could barely drive the car, but I definately spilt coolant all over that bad boy, so I knew it was the opti. I didn't replace it though I just slapped a delteq on it, runs like a beauty. As long as the optical sensor is working correctly the delteq replaces the failing parts of the opti.

But it could always be the opti, I reccomend the delteq kit for replacement.

www.delteq.com
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

if your looking for an opti most aftermarket ones are junk go with a GM replacement they work the best. I got one for 325 shipped for a non vented call 1877 726 8295 and ask for jason cromer he works at a dealership and has a good price
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I have a chance to get a new MSD opti do you think it is worth it? I'm beginning to think its a fuel problem but im getting the opti for a good deal so would it be alright to pick up and maybe just use anyways?

and if i do that, is there a way to take a volt/amp meter and test the opti myself to make sure it works before i buy?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

definatley check fuel pressure, but i had an opti that was miss firing at high rpm and stayed together for several weeks this way. one hard highway pull and the rotor came unbolted. pulled the opti out of the car disassembled it and bolted it back together and it temorarily fixed my high rpm missing problem but over the course of several months the same miss returned. i put an opti2 in and havent had a problem since.
all i am saying is that inspecting the inside of the opti is deftinatley the cheaper way to determine if the the opti is the problem before purchasing a new one. if the T9 or T8 rotor bolts are loose and allowing the rotor to move wildly it will definatley cause a miss fire (regardless of the rpm). if you do pull the opti apart spend the time dis/reassembling carfully and use locktite!

Quick Reply: Thinking opti but hoping not.