LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

code 36 and 42. New opti, and new icm, icm ground, plugs, and wires. What the?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 36 and 42. New opti, and new icm, icm ground, plugs, and wires. What the?

Car is hard to start and it will run with ses lights on and throws codes 36 and 42. Any ideas? is it possible that the opti drive pin is indexed wrong??? however if it was, would the car ever run smoothly? On the initial startup, it ran smooth for a few minutes till i turned it off. Then i turned it back on and along come the ses lights.

*update* I just went outside and for the hell of it, i unplugged the opti harness and checked out the contacts. Cleaned the contacts the best i could and plugged it back in.... Started her up(cranks a bit weak) and ran smooth with no codes.. Turned it off and started again, same thing but started a bit easier... tried it one more time and this time it started nicely AND ran good with no codes.. I had to go back to work so the troubleshooting stopped there.

Should i buy a new harness?? Could this be anything else?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

not sure what those codes are, you might try shoebox's website, do a search on camaroz28.com and pull up his site think he has codes on it or someone here will chime in.

Have you tested your coil with an ohmeter? is it stock or aftermarket coil? Also what condition are your 02 sensors in? or how old? I'll just assume you've replaced plugs, wires and the ignition basic 101 stuff?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Teching In

codes...

36 Distributor ignition system (faulty high resolution pulse or extra low resolution pulse detected)

42 Ignition Control (IC) circuit (shorted or grounded circuit)

coil is fine (tried two)

And yes new plugs and wires as noted in the title. O2s are fine.. They're ac delcos and are about a year old.

Quick Reply: code 36 and 42. New opti, and new icm, icm ground, plugs, and wires. What the?