LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

who has sent their heads to lloyd for work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who has sent their heads to lloyd for work?

I got a quote from him for porting my heads(500) and 300 for a valve job, if i provide all the parts, what are the benefits of having the valves done by him or is this something i can do relatively easy, i want to get my heads ported since i am planning on doing a cam here and trying to hit 400hp. So anyone who knows anything about valve jobs let me know, i am pretty mechanical so if its something i can do i would rather save the 300 bucks, what all will i need to do it and what would be a good diameter for new valves?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

diameter of the valves with stock compression is going to vary with what cam you choose. I know Lloyd cut down 2.02 valves to 2.00's. I can only assume he does this because it works best with his setup to achieve the max hp and efficiency. As far as installing them yourself, I don't see it being a problem. But on an off chance one or a few vavles don't seat properly, the seats will need to be machined accordingly. I know you'll save some coin by doing it yourself, but it maynot be worth the headache.

I am extremely happy with my LE2 head and cam setup and would recommend him to anyone.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

The quality of the valve job can make or break a set of heads. The $300 would be money very well spent.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Lloyd charges about $400 for just the portwork and then the valve job and parts of course are seperate. A vavle job is not something you can do at home so I would pay the extra money and get it done right. Also you can only do three angles on the head so don't let someone BS you into a 5 angle. The other two cuts are actually done to the back of the valve. I run 2.02 valves in my LT1, but a 2.00 fits perfectly with no extra work. I would run a 2.00 diameter valve, but I think only a few manufactures make a 2.00 valve so it might be a little more expensive.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC Stew
The quality of the valve job can make or break a set of heads. The $300 would be money very well spent.
Porting and valve jobs (VJ) work as a team. With some heads, the correct valve job may increase flow (and engine power) more than a less-than-stellar port job. This doesn't necessarily apply to LT1 engines, however.

As to providing (new) parts to the head porter, you probably won't save money. Most head guys buy enough valves, springs, retainers, etc. that they get better pricing than you do. They can mark them up a little to be in line with the prices you would pay. If you don't provide the exact same parts, you may not get the exact same results from the port work and VJ and maybe the cam. You then don't have much recourse, because you provided the parts.

It's like the sign in a engine or car workshop:

Labor Rate: $50 per hour
If you watch, $60 per hour
If you help, $75 per hour
If you bring your own parts and help, $100 per hour

(Insert any number in for the $50, and recalculate)

I only speak for myself, not for Lloyd.

Quick Reply: who has sent their heads to lloyd for work?