LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

396 numbers ????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 396 numbers ????????

Well heres the deal looking for any info I am running a lt1 396 callies crank lunnati rods custom 14.1 compresion ross pistons.4 bolt splayed caps electric water pump canton oil pan.Afr lt4 220s fuly ported custom grind cam motion cam (might be a problem )currently running port pros converted victor e manifold with custom elbow a single blade mustang t body I have a set of custom set of lemmons 3 step headers with 1 chamber flow masters and x pipe. Motor is set up to spray 400

trans turbo 400 with custom stall 5000 coan converter

moser 9in with strange alluminum center section 411 gearing

fuel delivery aeromotive pump custom fuel rails 45 lb pound injectors big stuff 3 ls1 dfi coil per cylinder

Well heres the kicker I feel that even though it is a nos motor that the power is down .I was runing a lt4 intake a ed wright tuned stock pcm and a delteq ignition.I was running 1070s on motor all day no matter what I changed I was running a maf translator with wide band o2 sensor over the winter I freshened motor to find out I was only at 12.5 compresion made it a true 14.1 compresion had heads opened up from fully cnc ported at afr to custom head work now flowing well over 300 on intake put a alluminum strange center section in rear end put strange alluminum brakes all around car installed tubular k member and control arms and custom headers also installed a 12 point custom bad *** roll cage with a bad *** set of custom race seats also installed anti roll bar and a big stuf 3 dfi and port pros victor e intke and elbow and t body I am now running 1060s all day I have to be honest I do not have much tuning time in the car and have only been to the dyno once and was not pleased tuner didnt mess with timing or much but vehicle only made on mustang dyno 435 hp and 390 tq I know theres has to be more in this thing on motor before I hit the nos what are your oppinions thnaks I am looking for my cam card I think the cam could be the problem.Thanks

Last edited by ultra396z28; 07-23-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn't worry about the numbers too much being as you are running an enormous stall converter which from what i understand does not let the numbers show as they would on a smaller converter or on a manual transmission if i were you i would just let the track numbers do the talking with that roll cage and the racing seats strap up your 5 point harness and hold on when you spray that 400 shot let us know what you run because that is a badass setup you have i wish i was ballin like you i would have a 900 cubic inch big block spraying a 900 shot and i would be running 590's in the quarter with a .9 sixty foot by the way what is a cam card i have never heard of a cam card before oh yeah and is your period button broke?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
oh yeah and is your period button broke?
I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

I nearly fell out of my chair reading this early, the 2nd time it still has great comic value

435 rwhp out of a 396 w/ all that?

your pushrods too short?
dyno guy only running it up to 4000 rpm?
only have 6 fuel injectors?
forget a spark plug?

your wing isn't big enough . . . problem solved
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that would be at least 460 on a Dynojet. Which I would say is about right with a Turbo 400 trans with 5000 converter. That would probably be well over 500 with a locked converter in a 4L60E.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by CNC Stew
I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

Sorry my puncuation and spelling leaves allot to be desired
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by fast
I nearly fell out of my chair reading this early, the 2nd time it still has great comic value

435 rwhp out of a 396 w/ all that?

your pushrods too short?
dyno guy only running it up to 4000 rpm?
only have 6 fuel injectors?
forget a spark plug?

your wing isn't big enough . . . problem solved

Mabey we could meet up and u could put 1000 dollars up against your piece of ****.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a partner w/ a similar setup.he's running 396 14 to 1,afr 220's,lt4 intake,th400,4500stall,9 inch rear,speed density tune stock pcm he put down 465 rwhp on a dynojet.he never ran the car at the track because it blew a head gasket on the dyno we had a problem w/ seprate fuel system direct port kit.i have a vid of the car it sounds unlike any lt1 i have ever heard.i do think there was alot left in the car as he never got a chance to tune the car to it's full potential.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultra396z28
Well heres the deal looking for any info I am running a lt1 396 callies crank lunnati rods custom 14.1 compresion ross pistons.4 bolt splayed caps electric water pump canton oil pan.Afr lt4 220s fuly ported custom grind cam motion cam (might be a problem )currently running port pros converted victor e manifold with custom elbow a single blade mustang t body I have a set of custom set of lemmons 3 step headers with 1 chamber flow masters and x pipe. Motor is set up to spray 400

trans turbo 400 with custom stall 5000 coan converter

moser 9in with strange alluminum center section 411 gearing

fuel delivery aeromotive pump custom fuel rails 45 lb pound injectors big stuff 3 ls1 dfi coil per cylinder

Well heres the kicker I feel that even though it is a nos motor that the power is down .I was runing a lt4 intake a ed wright tuned stock pcm and a delteq ignition.I was running 1070s on motor all day no matter what I changed I was running a maf translator with wide band o2 sensor over the winter I freshened motor to find out I was only at 12.5 compresion made it a true 14.1 compresion had heads opened up from fully cnc ported at afr to custom head work now flowing well over 300 on intake put a alluminum strange center section in rear end put strange alluminum brakes all around car installed tubular k member and control arms and custom headers also installed a 12 point custom bad *** roll cage with a bad *** set of custom race seats also installed anti roll bar and a big stuf 3 dfi and port pros victor e intke and elbow and t body I am now running 1060s all day I have to be honest I do not have much tuning time in the car and have only been to the dyno once and was not pleased tuner didnt mess with timing or much but vehicle only made on mustang dyno 435 hp and 390 tq I know theres has to be more in this thing on motor before I hit the nos what are your oppinions thnaks I am looking for my cam card I think the cam could be the problem.Thanks
Let me see if I can help....instead of that other crap!!!

1st...have you weighed your new combo? I'm assuming that you had a roll bar in their before going to a cage. Hopefully, with the other mods you have lost some weight. The bad......you have made a **** ton of changes to the motor all at once so, there's going to be no easy answer. With a compression change we know we can't lose power so that's not it...I have seen many ported/hogged out heads that flow bench well but make no more/less power than before they reworked (been there done that). The in take manifold has to be an upgrade over a worked LT4. Cam, did you change the cam during this or use the same grind as before? What are the specs? It could just be a simple cam/heads mismatch (but would have to be a huge mismatch).

Your 435 unlocked (mustang dyno) is not that bad (with your combo). Now you could use some super light rings and a vacuum pump to get another 20-30 horse out of your current combo. With a good running combo, with a mechanical roller with .7 lift and say 255-260ish duration on the intake and 6-10 degrees more on the exhaust on a 106-108 lsa should work well with the bigger heads. And should get you (with vacuum pump) 470-500 on a mustang dyno. And, you should run low 10's at that power level with 3250 race weight...

Also, watch out for the aluminum center housing in there? With a trans brake or big shot of juice they break....A good friend did just that on the engine alone (434ci, dominator, NA 9.90 camaro). So, with a big shot and traction watch out....then again with a 400 shot you would blow thru that converter anyways....
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

I hope with my 396 setup I make at least 460 whp through a M6.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
I hope with my 396 setup I make at least 460 whp through a M6.
Should be easy. My 401 did 460 SAE locked auto with a small cam, Strange 12 bolt and 12.5 to 1 compression. In a manual with stock rear end that would be 480ish or so, pretty easy with the right parts.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimbob
Let me see if I can help....instead of that other crap!!!

1st...have you weighed your new combo? I'm assuming that you had a roll bar in their before going to a cage. Hopefully, with the other mods you have lost some weight. The bad......you have made a **** ton of changes to the motor all at once so, there's going to be no easy answer. With a compression change we know we can't lose power so that's not it...I have seen many ported/hogged out heads that flow bench well but make no more/less power than before they reworked (been there done that). The in take manifold has to be an upgrade over a worked LT4. Cam, did you change the cam during this or use the same grind as before? What are the specs? It could just be a simple cam/heads mismatch (but would have to be a huge mismatch).

Your 435 unlocked (mustang dyno) is not that bad (with your combo). Now you could use some super light rings and a vacuum pump to get another 20-30 horse out of your current combo. With a good running combo, with a mechanical roller with .7 lift and say 255-260ish duration on the intake and 6-10 degrees more on the exhaust on a 106-108 lsa should work well with the bigger heads. And should get you (with vacuum pump) 470-500 on a mustang dyno. And, you should run low 10's at that power level with 3250 race weight...

Also, watch out for the aluminum center housing in there? With a trans brake or big shot of juice they break....A good friend did just that on the engine alone (434ci, dominator, NA 9.90 camaro). So, with a big shot and traction watch out....then again with a 400 shot you would blow thru that converter anyways....

I have never weighed car and the car never had any cage or roll bar until now so I would have to say chromolly cage probbably close to balancing out all the weight I took out.

I also know when I spray the car I will have to switch stall speeds.

Still looking for ******* cam card
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultra396z28
I have never weighed car and the car never had any cage or roll bar until now so I would have to say chromolly cage probbably close to balancing out all the weight I took out.

I also know when I spray the car I will have to switch stall speeds.

Still looking for ******* cam card
There's always this destresser if you can't find it!

Keep us posted...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

This probably doesn't help but I wouldn't worry about what the dyno says. The car obviously runs good. Tune it from trap speed and you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: 396 numbers ????????