LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lookin for some tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin for some tips

well i got my headers ordered(pacesetter LTs) and was wondering what advice you could throw my way for the installation that would make this as easy as possible. thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on your mechanical ability, don't plan on doing it in one day...just in case. Mine took about 18-20 hours of actual work, due to rusted parts not coming off easily and other complications. But then again, I was working by myself the whole time, had to stop and run to Sears where I work because I couldn't get the O2 sensor out of the manifold, and I had to put them in from up top since my jack and jackstands couldn't safely get high enough.

I'm sure you've researched this. Pull the alternator, starter, plugs, wires, and disconnect the steering linkage.

Be gentle around your sensors on the sides of the engine. Pull the coolant sensor from the passenger side. Don't break your oil pressure sensor like I did. You have a 94 I see, that means it is sticking out directly above your oil filter. You will probably have to remove the rubber shielding around it.

Just make sure you have all the tools you need, and work slowly as to not forget anything.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Teching In

thanks, yea i planned on taking my time and making sure everything goes right. i have heard that going from the bottom is easier but everyone does it different and i guess i will find out what is going to work for me. did you need any special tools or was it just the typical things that most car people have?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard it's easier from the bottom as well. My jack and stands are junk Duralast though, so I made it work from above. It wasn't THAT bad. Pass side is easy with the valve cover off. Driver's side is a bit more difficult with the steering linkage there.

As far as tools, the O2 sensors are a large size, 22mm or something around there. I don't remember exactly, but I didn't have a wrench for it or an O2 socket. Most everything was done with a set of wrenches, a set of sockets, 2 3/8 inch ratchets, and one 1/2" drive. If yours is like mine, most of the manifold to y-pipe bolts will snap, no matter how well they are soaked. The manifold bolts all came out relatively easy, and the Pacesetter bolts have to be tightened with a wrench as a socket hits the primaries and doesn't fit.

Make sure you have provisions for your O2 extensions before you start. Either prefabbed extensions or a soldering gun to make them. If you have race version headers, you'll need E.G.R. block-off plates and a bit of flexibility lol. If you have the emissions headers, I can't help you much with that, other than to say make sure you hook up all of the ****.

That's all I can really think of right now. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn i thought you needed some exhaust tips, i have some 4" tips for sale
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

o2s are 7/8

not sure what side it is i dont remember right now but you will have to remove the motor mount bolt and jack the motor up a bit

stock gaskets
arp 1" bolts- ARP-400-1210
Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

thanks rowdy i plan on starting the work this weekend but if i need any thing ill PM you and try to get it figured out.

Quick Reply: lookin for some tips