LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

leaking oil...need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil...need help

I bought a 96 ws6 a couple months ago and noticed that there was always a small amount of oil leaking from somewhere on the front of the engine. It didn't bother me, because it really wasnt all that much of a leak. Well the other night while getting gas a noticed it was leaking A LOT of oil. Just sitting there for 2 minutes a puddle of oil started forming.

The car has the march underdrive pulley set...and after doing a search, I think it might need a new crank seal.

Would it make sense for the seal to go out all at once assuming it was leaking before?

The previous owner also had the optispark replaced right before I bought the car....is there a seal involved with that install that should have been replaced and could lead to oil leaking as well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

You can buy some of the leak finder stuff at autozone.You pour it in your engine oil and let it run for a while and then use a blacklight to see where it's coming from.If it's leaking from the front seal you don't need the leak finder stuff because you'll be able to tell if it's from the front seal.It could leaking from your opti seal also.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Oh I also forgot it could also be your timing cover
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Launching!

thanks....im just going to order the crank seal, opti seal, and timing cover seal from thunder racing...guess it'll be one of those 3. I'm willing to bet the guy that put the opti on reused the old seal since he reused the old seal on the crank.

How much of a PITA is it to take the timing chain cover off? I read somewhere that you need to take the timing chain cover off to replace the crank seal.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

NO you don't have to remove the timing cover to take out the crank seal,It's very simple to do remove belt,crank hub and get something to pry out the old seal and place new seal in and tap it in with a big socket.Hardest part is removing the crank hub
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Just FYI for future reference, when you ANY oil leak, you should fix it on the spot. Problems like this will gradually get worse. You should ahve started work on it when you first saw it

-justin
Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen people pick up kite or baloon string while driving, that stuff can wrap around the crank snout and cut the crap out the seal.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

From experience this oil leak can also be the water pump drive seal. It's very easy to flip the lips out the wrong way if you are installing a new one. Just so you know, the timing cover is a PITA to get off because of the big lip on the bottom. You run the risk of ruining your oil pan gasket cuz you well almost certainly have to pry the oil pan down. Luckily you won't have to take it off unless it's the timing cover gasket itself. The crank, opti, and water pump drive seals can all be done without ever removing the cover.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually start to replace the seals on thursday.

Im hoping it's the crank seal...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually start to replace the seals on thursday.

Im hoping it's the crank seal...
That's definitely the easiest to change.

Quick Reply: leaking oil...need help