LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valve Springs

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Springs

I started shopping and researching a cam swap. I finally have all of my supporting mods (stall soon) and I'll be ready to do a cam hopefully before winter.

I've picked the cam already. I'm going to go with the 503. A lot of guys are running this cam deep into the 11s on untouched heads, and 11.99 is my goal cam-only. I'd like to do this as cheap and efficiently as possible, but that doesn't mean I want cheap parts.

I'm planning on Comp Pro-Mag NSA 1.6, 7/16" studs, and GMPP guideplates. IIRC, my 94 already has hardened pushrods, so I'll reuse them if they are in good shape.

My problem is that I have NO IDEA what spring to run. I only really want to spin this setup to 6200 or so, but I want to do it safely for a long time. I'd love to run a beehive for less mass in the valvetrain, and I was planning to run 918s. Now that I'm seeing all of Comp's quality control issues with them, I'm no longer interested.

The way I see it, there really isn't a good beehive spring out there. What else is there to go with that is proven but inexpensive. If all else fails, I'll ante up $250 for the Patriot dual golds if I must.

Any insight?

EDIT: I should say that I would like to support around .600 lift for any future swaps that I may do. If I must however, I'll run a cheaper, inferior spring that will safely handle my needs for now while I wait for a good beehive spring to develop.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Pac-1218. It's the original reliable 918.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i got CC918s on my 847 cam and they works great. DO NOT use the stock pushrods, even thou there hardened, thell wear out. My hardened comp cams PRs wore out with my gmpp guideplates. Spend the extra $120 and get magnum or hi-tech pushrods, WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Take it from experiance that i just went through for the past 4 weeks!! I just did a cam swap and can pretty much pin point you in any direction or advise.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

trick flow pushrods I hear are good, they are usually $80
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
i got CC918s on my 847 cam and they works great. DO NOT use the stock pushrods, even thou there hardened, thell wear out. My hardened comp cams PRs wore out with my gmpp guideplates. Spend the extra $120 and get magnum or hi-tech pushrods, WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Take it from experiance that i just went through for the past 4 weeks!! I just did a cam swap and can pretty much pin point you in any direction or advise.
Awesome. I'm sure you've seen the threads popping up in the past few months though of more problems with the 918s breaking. That scares me away. As of right now, I'm thinking of ditching the beehive idea altogether and just going with the popular crane dual spring kit. It'll get the job done, as well as save some money.

I will however take the advice on the pushrods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Springs