LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stupid Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Header Question

Hi,

This is beyond stupid and I'll get home later tonight and slap myself for asking this, but I've noticed a tapping noise coming from my car, and it seems louder from the bottom. I have a mechanic's stethescope and listened to each valve cover and the oil pan, and I don't hear the tapping coming from them.

I have Pacesetter LT's with the ORY, with the original gaskets that came with them, but with locking header bolts. I haven't retightened the bolts as I didn't think I would need to.

After hearing that this tapping could be an exhaust leak somewhere, I was curious as to the attached image. I noticed it has connector things with 3 bolts connecting the y pipe to the headers. I don't have these, but I have clamps on.

Here is the stupid question: Would not having those 3 bolt connectors possibly cause a leak?

I know people say their exhaust usually gets louder after headers, mine seemed to get a bit quieter

Any help would be fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid Header Question-camaro.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Pace setters have slip fit on the collectors not bolt/flanges. Sound more like a leak between the head/header. Yes, double check the bolts, sometimes you will need to retighten after a few heat cycles as the gaskets will collaps.

Also use a strip of paper and move it around the tipes, if it starts moving you've found the leak.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your bolts backed out before tightening, could have possibly blown the gasket loose. thats the case with mine, but i am dealing with it until i pull the motor in a few weeks... screw taking the LT's back off
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Ah, I'll try the paper thing once it's cooled down a bit, thanks for that!

Yeah the gaskets that came with them didn't blow my mind, so I got some percy's seal4good or something like that..is removing LT's just enough to swap gaskets a PITA?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not the worst, but then again its not the best. depends if you have done them... and how many times. i am used to it, but i still dont ENJOY doing it. Dont let people scare you though, its very possible to do.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Hm.. well I tried the paper method and none of the places caused the paper to shake really.

The sound is kind of tinny sounding tap..MUCH louder underneath the car near the Y pipe..in fact you can't hear it if you're looking down at the engine, only if you're on the side or looking underneath.

Did anyone else with LTs get more of a tinny tapping noise when they put theirs on?

Quick Reply: Stupid Header Question