LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Single wire alt question.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single wire alt question.........

Hey guys, I have a 94 LT-1. It has a single wire altenator. It's not charging. What type of voltage should I get out of the one wire pigtail that plugs into the back of the alt? Is this a momentary voltage to excite the feild or is it a constant 12 volt? I am not getting anything at all.

Thanks for any help,

Joe
Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the part about it not charging, but maybe im just not reading the last part correctly, because im not understanding exactly what you are saying. Make sure the voltage reg sensor is plugged in correctly. If you have headers make sure the wire is not burned through like what happened to me. I had a time trying to track down one of those pesky little things and ended up cutting a voltage reg sensor off of a cutlass or something that had a three wire sensor. I played with it for a while, and spliced two of the wires into the one and got it to work.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The wire on the back of the altenator(small wire) is the feedback wire. You should have whatever voltage the battery has. It should go to the junction point on the passenger side fender. I bet that wire has been cut or burnt in two.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smoknta
The wire on the back of the altenator(small wire) is the feedback wire. You should have whatever voltage the battery has. It should go to the junction point on the passenger side fender. I bet that wire has been cut or burnt in two.
Cool man thanks. I got it. Don't know why, but the original wire that goes to the alt didn't have voltage. No bad fuses or nothing. Never did figure that one out, but I did get voltage to it with the key on and now it charges fine.

Thanks guys!

Joe

Quick Reply: Single wire alt question.........