LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what else can cause a misfire besides plugs/wires

Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what else can cause a misfire besides plugs/wires

Okay so i am still stumped by this misfire, i have replaced all of my plugs and new wires, taylor OTVC wires, i just replaced the opti-end terminals and i have no burns/breaks in the wires. New opti, new water pump. Ever since i installed my pacesetters/ory i have this damn mis, it is always when the engine is coming down from a rev. Would O2 sensors cause this? Does it just need a tune, the engine idles just fine, no stumbling, no hesitations, just a damn misfire.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the opti ends are on all the way, I was positive mine were until I went back and redid them. I think a bad coil would cause a misfire, how old is yours?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are reving the motor high and then letting off and you have a backfire this is a normal thing for the LT1. I would have the same thing happen until I got a tune. these motors a programmed rich from the factory (safety factor)...and the fuel collects in the exhaust and ignites. After I got a tune I have had no further backfires.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

coil is also brand new, maybe ill take it for a spin around the block and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

By misfire do you mean backfire? As in when you let off the gas high in the rpms and you hear a pop or popping? Like Fad2BLK93 said that is normal for our cars, nothing to be concerned with. My car does it all the time, even a little flames sometimes if the weather is cold
Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

mostlikely in your tune but it also could be a base engine problem
Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay so it sounds like its normal, it just never did it before my LT install. how many guys do their own tuning? I have a laptop, im thinking about buying a cable and tuning it myself. So to stop the backfire i would need to lean out the gas right?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

All right i took it for a drive and it still runs like ****, i am at my wits end to try and figure it out so tomorrow i am taking it to a local performance shop that specializes in camaros/trans ams/gto's and seeing if they can fix it. Hopefully be up and running soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
All right i took it for a drive and it still runs like ****, i am at my wits end to try and figure it out so tomorrow i am taking it to a local performance shop that specializes in camaros/trans ams/gto's and seeing if they can fix it. Hopefully be up and running soon.
If you just installed long tubes then it is running rich, a tune would help. But I would double check all your plugs and wires just one last time before you take it to a shop. When I installed my long tubes, otvc wires, etc... I took it for a drive and was wondering why the hell it was misfiring. Turned out to be a loose plug or the wire wasn't fully on the plug...lol.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chk the Fuel Pressue, Ive said this over 3 different post. Its often the most over looked thing. Hook a guage up, tape it to the windsheild and drive her, put a load on it and see how it moves. I myself have replaced opti's when it wasnt needed.

Its call diagnosing.

A motor needs.

Fuel

Air

Spark

Compression
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

all ready hooked up a guage, get 47 with engine on and 43 at idle.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

all ready hooked up a guage, get 47 with engine on and 43 at idle.
Thats not what I am talking about.

I said put a LOAD on it, means you need to drive it, the engine in neutral/park does not have the same need while in motion.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I completely overlooked the o2 sensors...they could easily be the problem. Did you use o2 extensions or cut and splice your original sensors?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

check your rocker arm adjustments. I had a p0300 random misfire code triggered by the number 8 rockers being overtightened. took me 3 months and after purchasing all new distributer equipment
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by phirepower
check your rocker arm adjustments. I had a p0300 random misfire code triggered by the number 8 rockers being overtightened. took me 3 months and after purchasing all new distributer equipment
He has a 94, the trouble codes are far different.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt197formula
I completely overlooked the o2 sensors...they could easily be the problem. Did you use o2 extensions or cut and splice your original sensors?
used an extension on the pass side, the drivers side was long enough without an extension. I am kinda thinking my O2's also but then it would idle funny and it idles just fine.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

used an extension on the pass side, the drivers side was long enough without an extension. I am kinda thinking my O2's also but then it would idle funny and it idles just fine.
Not necessarily, it might be idling slightly off but you don't notice it because there is no load on the car. How old are your o2 sensors? I blew many o2 sensors because I had a leak in my slip fit header when I installed my longtubes and exhaust.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Is the missfire at high RPMs? Is it only if the car is cold? Is it running like crap all the time?

If you've got the time and patience, it probably wouldn't hurt to check the adjustment of your rockers and ensure that they are at zero-lash with the proper pre-load.

You also might want to take a look at the harness that goes along the passenger side of the intake manifold, and down behind the water pump where it plugs into the opti. A lot of the time this is over-looked, and can be the culprit for the missfire. It is exposed to moisture, heat, grease, etc. for a very long time, and considering LT1 cars are nearing 14+ years old now, all those elements take a toll on electrical connectors.

Pull your plugs and check them. Make sure they're all gapped properly. Use a little bit of dielectric grease on the inside of the plug wire boots to help keep moisture out, and assist with connectivity with the plugs.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

the misfire will be right around 3k RPM's. I have looked at the harness and it seems to be okay, checked and double checked all of my plugs and wires and it still runs crappy. It will idle fine but when i go to accellerate it will be really slow and take a while to get any power to it and it will pop like crazy.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the misfire will be right around 3k RPM's. I have looked at the harness and it seems to be okay, checked and double checked all of my plugs and wires and it still runs crappy. It will idle fine but when i go to accellerate it will be really slow and take a while to get any power to it and it will pop like crazy.
Sounds like o2's to me...what brand and how old are yours?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what else can cause a misfire besides plugs/wires