LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H pipe

would i see any gain anywhere in the rpm range with an H pipe if i have stock manifolds?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about with stock manifolds. If you are just running two pipes straight back right now you might pick up a little bit but probably not a whole lot. I'd recommend an X pipe though because they scavenge just slightly better than an H pipe.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

yea ive heard x pipes make more top end power but an h will give you more torque. of course we are only talking a couple of numbers either way. but i was just wondering if i would get any scavaging affect since i have manifolds. also, and x is not an option for my setup
Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your a peak numbers kinda guy, get an x-pipe as they produce the best peak numbers high up in the rpm's. If your looking for one that goes throughout the rpm's, mainly in the low-mid, get an h-pipe. Also, sound is another thing. Old school muscle sound = h-pipe. New age muscle sound = x-pipe.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got an h pipe with no cats..3in into a flowmaster..sounds good but robs horsepower through a flowmaster Ive heard...definatly has that swett old school sound.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
yea ive heard x pipes make more top end power but an h will give you more torque. of course we are only talking a couple of numbers either way. but i was just wondering if i would get any scavaging affect since i have manifolds. also, and x is not an option for my setup

Well regardless of the scavenging, if nothing else you will still be equalizing the pressure from the pulses coming out of each bank, so as said before it might help a little. I really can't tell you how much though because i have never seen numbers from any LT1s with duals on stock manifolds. It could be not even 5 hp or ft-lbs of torque, or it could be more. Maybe somebody else might have a little better idea. I would definitely recommend a set of headers as soon as possible though. LTs if possible (don't know if you can put them in that car with an LT1.) And yeah the X or H pipe is really personal preference, I'm just partial to the x-pipes because they cause less turbulence within the exhaust and, as said by others give a little more hp up top.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 07-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

the only header option for me could only be complete customs because of my setup. i completly realize the benifit of headers, trust me. and as said before, and x is not an option for me.

Quick Reply: H pipe