LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone using Comp OE lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Comp OE lifters?

I think they might also be called Xtreme Energy but not sure. I noticed mine leak down awfully quick and thought I'd check with everyone else.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I think they might also be called Xtreme Energy but not sure. I noticed mine leak down awfully quick and thought I'd check with everyone else.
I do. One of them came apart at ~50 miles on the build(taking the roller rocker with it). My speed shop says it was definetly defective, and they have never seen it happen on the non "R" lifters. All the other ones are fine, so just replaced the single one and 1k later they are all still good. Guess it was a freak accident?

I can get you the part number from the ones I used if you want. Also can take a pic of the leftovers if you are curious
Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Eye candy is always great. I have the receipt for them somewhere, under the enormous pile. I may get it out tomorrow. I remember them being the OE lifters. I have a little over 10K miles on mine (not real sure as I have this motor in a different car). Not a problem out of them so far. I had two other valvetrain problems but I don't know if they're related to the lifters or not. First time I think was the builder's fault--there was valve stem that wasn't on the roller and it was wearing into the rocker body. Second time the same thing happened but it was right after we put the motor in the different car. I remember the chain binding on one of the rockers but can't remember which. So I can't tag the lifters for either. However, I was helping a buddy this past couple weekends on a heads and cam swap. He had some bad lifters and we bent a couple pushrods before we got it straightened out. I got a little paranoid and pulled my cover and noticed how quick these leak down. If you run the car and shut it off and immediately check everything, they're pumped up and tight. But in like 30 seconds, they've started to leak down and it almost feels like a loose rocker. I just hope I don't bend a couple pushrods myself. I've been thinking about getting some non self aligners and some guideplates.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

i'm on Comp OEs. not one issue
Old 07-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Yes the Comp OE lifters leak down very quickly. I have bent two pushrods, one pretty bad, and have also had a N/A Pro Mag 1.6 freeze up becasue of a needle bearing failure after putting 1500 miles since the cam swap. But I will say Comp stood behind their products when that happened. I am just glad I didn't get a bad batch of their 918 springs!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

I'm running Comp OE lifters
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JustinsZ
Yes the Comp OE lifters leak down very quickly. I have bent two pushrods, one pretty bad, and have also had a N/A Pro Mag 1.6 freeze up becasue of a needle bearing failure after putting 1500 miles since the cam swap. But I will say Comp stood behind their products when that happened. I am just glad I didn't get a bad batch of their 918 springs!
I was just wanting see if others' leaked down quickly. While it's running, everything seems tight, but shut it off and in no time they've leaked down. Luckily in my two rocker incidents I have not bent pushrods. However I had to buy two rockers at almost $50 a pop! Anyone reckon a swap to NSA rockers would be a worthwhile investment? I am thinking they'd be more stable than the SA. I guess that's why they get used a lot.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the "R" on mine no problems 5k on them
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
I got the "R" on mine no problems 5k on them
Those have been known for their problems! What exactly was the issue?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

no problems with mine
Old 07-27-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes I got that but the Comp R had an infamous problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yes I got that but the Comp R had an infamous problem.
I am running Comp R's on mine and have not had problems either. Mine however are some of the older batch R's. Check cz28.com they have a sticky on the Comp R problems.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Cool thanks. Do the R's leak down quickly like the OE's? I kinda wondered if mine were giving out but JustinsZ seemed to have the same thing on his.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Comp OE lifters?