LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hesitation when in normal operating range...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hesitation when in normal operating range...

Well im in the last stretch.The car is running and is running pretty strongth but i got one small problem.

At a dead stop(red light or stop)when the motor is cold or not in is operating range, if i want start quickly(wot) the car seems to hesitate a bit but its hardly noticeable.

But when its warm(normal operating range) at a dead stop and same thing,if i wanna start quickly,the car hesitate kinda bad until 1000/1200rpm and then pull really hard to 6k.

MOTOR/IGNITION:
-Brand new 96 LT4 GM crate motor with plastic valve cover
-New GM lt1 oil pan
-96 LT4 GM intake
-New Delphi 32lbs injectors
-New Delco optispark distributor
-New msd blaster coil
-New taylor spiro wire otvc side mount
-New tr55 ngk plug
-Moroso CAI
-Brand new crank hub
-Brand new ASP crank pulley
-New rebuilt and ported(52mm) stock throttle body to avoid sticking blade with ported air foil
-New knock sensor
-New oxygen sensor(on both side with new pass side O2 extension)
-New coolant sensor(both: on head to gauge and on water pump to ecm)
-New oil pressure sensor with new angle fitting
-New throttle cable(no traction control)
-New rebuilt stock water pump
-New power steering pump
-New poly motor mount(2)
-New A/C delete pulley
-New dipstick tube and dipstick
-New pcv
-New IAC
-ALL NEW gasket for everything(water pump,intake,steam pipe,TB,etc...)

-Ive tried 4 opti(2 msd/2delco);
-I ve clean my maf and also swicth with another one;
-The idle seems a little rough
-The only thing i didnt change is the MAP and the TPS

So what could it be?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you check the fuel pressure, dp you still have the egr?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Double check your plug wires. Make sure you have the correct firing order, routed properly, no burn marks and seated properly at the plug and opti. Did you cut the wires yourself and put on the ends? Could be a broken insulator in the wire where you had to crimp the connector. I had a hesitation before after changing my wires and even though I was sure I had the correct firing order, after checking a second time, found I had crossed the 6 & 8 plug wires and that I had a cracked the insulator (internal braided wire) on one of the wires. Doesn't cost anything but time to double check yourself. Also check the connections of the wiring harness to opti and at the PCM and your vacume lines/connections. Hope you find the problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by C5042081
did you check the fuel pressure, dp you still have the egr?
Fuel pressure is perfect and yeah im running the egr valve and it work properly.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mack
Double check your plug wires. Make sure you have the correct firing order, routed properly, no burn marks and seated properly at the plug and opti. Did you cut the wires yourself and put on the ends? Could be a broken insulator in the wire where you had to crimp the connector. I had a hesitation before after changing my wires and even though I was sure I had the correct firing order, after checking a second time, found I had crossed the 6 & 8 plug wires and that I had a cracked the insulator (internal braided wire) on one of the wires. Doesn't cost anything but time to double check yourself. Also check the connections of the wiring harness to opti and at the PCM and your vacume lines/connections. Hope you find the problem.
This problem was there with 4 different new opti and 4 set of wire also brand new and 2 coils so its not the problem.

But i will check the shape of the plugs
Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you check every vacume line?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you check every vacume line?
Yep me ,my friends and a mechanic guy.

No leaks
Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just wondering if your using a LT4 KM
Old 07-29-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

just wondering if your using a LT4 KM
Yes sir
Old 07-29-2007, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by always faster
This problem was there with 4 different new opti and 4 set of wire also brand new and 2 coils so its not the problem.

But i will check the shape of the plugs
Hopefully it will be a bad plug and then you'll be set. Finding the causes of a slight hesitation is frustrating because it can be so many different things. If it isn't a plug problem, check your TPS w a multi meter. No leaks at header gaskets? Sorry man, I know these sugestions are all mechanics 101 and I mean no disrespect by suggesting them. Maybe a vacum leak in the EGR plunger? You said you had the TB redone. Is the blade movement and linkage consistant with one another? I'm running out of suggestions. Anybody else have any ideas?
Keep us posted and hope you find the problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mack
Hopefully it will be a bad plug and then you'll be set. Finding the causes of a slight hesitation is frustrating because it can be so many different things. If it isn't a plug problem, check your TPS w a multi meter. No leaks at header gaskets? Sorry man, I know these sugestions are all mechanics 101 and I mean no disrespect by suggesting them. Maybe a vacum leak in the EGR plunger? You said you had the TB redone. Is the blade movement and linkage consistant with one another? I'm running out of suggestions. Anybody else have any ideas?
Keep us posted and hope you find the problem.
There is no such thing has disrespectfull suggestion,if im aksing its because i need help and all help is accepted

My plug are ok.Today i logged the car with datamaster and some weird thing came by:

Those are the number when the idle seems to be fine:
Rpm: between 700 and 800
-Map Kpa: 33.2
-Fuel trim cell: 16
-LT term count: 150 148
-Sterm count: 128 128
-BPW MS: 2.73 2.73
-Inj Dc: 1.7 1.7
-O2 mv: .53 .102
-AFGS: 6.66
-TPS: 0%
-TPS: 0.67 volts
-Spark adv: 26.00degree
-Ia temp : 47.8
-IAC pos: 13

But when i first start it the idle was stuck to 1500rpm.I then stop it and reset the IAC.I start it and it stuck to 1200rpm.I again reset the IAC and the rpm goes back to 750rpm.

I the took some log while driving part throttle in town with a lot of stop and go.I also log a WOT 1-2-3-4 run.The motor takes back 3.5/4 degree of timing in wot but the thing that i found wierd was the idle.

With the motor cold or warm,during all the log test the idle didnt want to drop under 1000rpm at idle.Some times it was a 1000 some times it was at 1300rpm.The only thing that i found on the log was that the tps was at .67volts wich is correct nut it also read 3% open when the tb blade are fully closed.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

There is no such thing has disrespectfull suggestion,if im aksing its because i need help and all help is accepted

My plug are ok.Today i logged the car with datamaster and some weird thing came by:

Those are the number when the idle seems to be fine:
Rpm: between 700 and 800
-Map Kpa: 33.2
-Fuel trim cell: 16
-LT term count: 150 148
-Sterm count: 128 128
-BPW MS: 2.73 2.73
-Inj Dc: 1.7 1.7
-O2 mv: .53 .102
-AFGS: 6.66
-TPS: 0%
-TPS: 0.67 volts
-Spark adv: 26.00degree
-Ia temp : 47.8
-IAC pos: 13

But when i first start it the idle was stuck to 1500rpm.I then stop it and reset the IAC.I start it and it stuck to 1200rpm.I again reset the IAC and the rpm goes back to 750rpm.

I the took some log while driving part throttle in town with a lot of stop and go.I also log a WOT 1-2-3-4 run.The motor takes back 3.5/4 degree of timing in wot but the thing that i found wierd was the idle.

With the motor cold or warm,during all the log test the idle didnt want to drop under 1000rpm at idle.Some times it was a 1000 some times it was at 1300rpm.The only thing that i found on the log was that the tps was at .67volts wich is correct nut it also read 3% open when the tb blade are fully closed.

67 volts sounds about right. Mine is at 71, but IMO 67 to 71 is fine. I've had idle issues before after a new tune w the idle being at 1000 sometimes and at 800 other times. My problem was related to a dirty spring in the IAC. You have a new, so.... I would check the condition of the spring. Make sure it didn't get kinked during assemble or for maybe a burr on the shaft of the unit that the spring goes on that is causing the spring to bind. Is the spring length on the new unit the same as the old? Timing could be off by +1 and causing the knock.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't mean to sound dumb or spur argument but I thought TPS voltage at idle was .55?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Don't mean to sound dumb or spur argument but I thought TPS voltage at idle was .55?
There is a free mod call the "TPS MODS" wich bring the voltage to .67volts.This is supposed to be the best set up.Mine is not modify and it dead on .67v
Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

There is a free mod call the "TPS MODS" wich bring the voltage to .67volts.This is supposed to be the best set up.Mine is not modify and it dead on .67v
You mentioned that at one point it was showing 3% open when it was closed. Are the issues related?

Last edited by dhdenney; 07-30-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Anytime a problem is "only happening when warm" you want to look at o2 sensors as that's often the cause but they often get overlooked.

What do your o2 values do in datamaster at idle? Do they fluctuate a lot or just stay mostly the same?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the tps target was .50 to 55...when I had my chip first done my idle would be high also about 900, and when I would try to come to a stop the idle would drag the car along...So I called Alvin and he said some cars would not accept the program he used, so I sent it back and he sent me another one and all was good.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I thought the tps target was .50 to 55...when I had my chip first done my idle would be high also about 900, and when I would try to come to a stop the idle would drag the car along...So I called Alvin and he said some cars would not accept the program he used, so I sent it back and he sent me another one and all was good.
Yeah only for the 93 model.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im putting this thread back on the map since im having too much problem with the car and need help.

-I set the idle at 750rpm but it doenst want to stay there,it fluctuate between 700 and 800.And this is only when it want to stay there;
-The idle can stick at 1000rpm or 1300rpm or even 1500rpm;
-It lack power in the low range and it seems to have some hesitation when slapping the gas from a dead stop;
-It knock all the way thru the rpm,the pcm take back 3 to 5 degree of timing advance;
-From the datamaster files,the motor seems to run lean and the pcm is trying to compensate but make it run rich.

I got datamaster files to send to anyone that need them to help me.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Hesitation when in normal operating range...