LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

matching stall to rear end gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default matching stall to rear end gears

How do you match your stall to your rear end gears? I'm sure intended use, cam and heads and tires have to do with it, but what I'm asking is: is there a formula or something to match stall and gears? Matching meaning maximizing 1/4 mile times aka performance. Starting with 3.73 gears for example, what stall would best match those gears for lower ETs?

If this question is not really able to be answered accurately as is, then how did some of you match your gears, stall and other mods for a performance based set up?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
How do you match your stall to your rear end gears? I'm sure intended use, cam and heads and tires have to do with it, but what I'm asking is: is there a formula or something to match stall and gears? Matching meaning maximizing 1/4 mile times aka performance. Starting with 3.73 gears for example, what stall would best match those gears for lower ETs?

If this question is not really able to be answered accurately as is, then how did some of you match your gears, stall and other mods for a performance based set up?
Match the stall to the cam.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should match the drivetrain(i.e converter,tranny,and rearend) to the engines best operating range of power also take into consideration what you want out of the combo.When you buy the converter talk with them to see what best suites your needs.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's an automotive calculator on camaroz28.com that empirically calculates optimum final gear ratio. It takes into account top speed, tire diameter, and rpm where hp peaks. See link: http://www.camaroz28.com/calcs/bestgear.html
What top speed is this referring to? Is it estimated trap mph in the 1/4?

I guess using this calculator one could find optimal gearing based on what they want from the performance of the vehicle, then match it to cam and stall. Does this seem logical or is it backwards in some way?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you really want optimal results from a stall put the car on a dyno and see what the useable powerband looks like.show that to you stall manufacture or post it here you will get plenty of opinions.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My options are limited in that respect as I have no access to any major equipment and I have no $$. I'm talking more theory here, proven by others as fact.

Interesting though about the usable powerband. Shouldn't it be the same for all stalls of the same speed and manufacturer?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

by saying useable rpm i mean (to determine where your stall speed should be which is usually between where peak torque occurs and what rpm at wot your shift from 1st to 2nd will land you at.It is a good idea to keep your stall speed underneath when second gear is egaged at wot.)
Old 07-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Launching!

i would take a look on here and see what other guys are using ,their times,what they use their car for. there are some f and b body cars on here in the 11,s,and they are steet drivable. if i do decide to mod my z in the future i am going to be a copy cat. having a car with the wrong combo can make it unenjoyable to drive on the street,a pig on gas, plus you will get beat by someone at the track who may have less money in mods than you do . jmo
Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
by saying useable rpm i mean (to determine where your stall speed should be which is usually between where peak torque occurs and what rpm at wot your shift from 1st to 2nd will land you at.It is a good idea to keep your stall speed underneath when second gear is egaged at wot.)

If you should stall b/t peak tq and your wot shift from 1st to 2nd, wouldn't that make your stall speed greater than your 2nd engagement at wot? If it's b/t the two, it should be greater than 2nd but less than torque peak, right?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

example-if you have an engine that you shift at 6000 rpms makes peak torque at 3000 rpms.then when you shift into 2nd gear at wot your rpms start out at 4500.your target goal for stall would be in between 3000 and 4500.i only say this from expriences i have had w/big stalls and no gears or vice versa.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting, thanks!

Can you explain why? I mean how does it benefit (lower ETs, better performance, etc) for your stall speed to be under 2nd and higher than peak torque?

Last edited by eLTwerker; 07-29-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think people are too quick to try and "optomize" these things in a street car.

In a street car pick gears you will be happy with on the street and pick a stall based on a compromise between the cam's needs and streetability.

I am quite sure my car would go quicker if I put a 4000stall and 4.10+ gears in it, well if it hooked anyway, BUT I put way too many miles on it to go optomizing the drivetrain for the strip.

Some guys are happy with 4.10s on the street, I do not think I would be, the 3400 stall I am running drives just fine, but again I doubt I would enjoy the car as much on the street with a 4000 stall. A dual purpose car will always be a compromise, IMO it is better to error on the side of caution and make sure you will still enjoy driving it. I have seen too many people push too far and stop enjoying a car and then sell it taking a huge loss and withing a year or two are starting from scratch because well they enjoyed this hobby and want back in.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

a stall is to get your engine into its power band.if you have not got into your power band by the the time you get into second gear than you have a problem,and your e.t./mph will suffer.the problem will be in you transmission,rear gears,or stall setup.if you are in second and your car is still relieing on the stall for motivation then there is an extreme amount of h.p. loss do to slippage from the stall.b.t.w i agree with the above post as there will always be a comprimse and a point of diminishing return.

Last edited by SincalT/A; 08-03-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree 100%. I was asking more for theory and just in case I hit the lottery or something and can go all-out. A brother can always dream, right??
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got 2 lt1 cars and a **** load of parts thats all i ever do is dream.

Quick Reply: matching stall to rear end gears