LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Confirm the kill please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confirm the kill please

Soo. . . .I'm sitting in a parking lot listening to some music my friend leaves the car so i dont wana let it get too warm. . .I knew the opti in my formula was slowly going bad because after a trip back from Austin i could only rev too 3 grand after 6 hours on the road - So tonight it happened I killed the car and when i went to turn it over again nothing - just straight up death. . . .do we have an Opti R.I.P or do you think anything else would have caused it? - fuel pump and everything comes on I hear winds and beeps perfectly fine in the engine bay - just no spark totally 100% grade A death. . .
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Well just because your fuel pump comes on doesn't mean you can count that out. I'd check your fuel pressure and your ICM and start small first! Don't jump to any conclusions YET and spend money you don't HAVE to. But it sounds like your opti took a ****, thats exactly what mine did.

Good Luck,
Dusty
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

first thing i would check is get a fuel gauge and test it via schraver valve, its in the back of the intake on the pass side. Check it when you turn the key "on", then at idle, then give it some load, if all of that is good then check your spark. Spark plugs loose, cracked, burnt wire ext.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transambandit
first thing i would check is get a fuel gauge and test it via schraver valve, its in the back of the intake on the pass side. Check it when you turn the key "on", then at idle, then give it some load, if all of that is good then check your spark. Spark plugs loose, cracked, burnt wire ext.

See the thing that's pointing me away from the fuel pump though is that it would atleast crank right? - I've got no crank no spark nadda wont turn over what so ever. . .
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not turning over at all? may be something very simple...positive wire? bad connection to the starter/battery maybe
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

pull your plugs off your battery and make sure they arent corroded
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transambandit
pull your plugs off your battery and make sure they arent corroded

no corrosions - tryed to see if it had to do with the clutch not pushing that safty part in but i'm not sure how that works. . .it acts like i'm not pushing in the clutch at all when I am maybe something got stuck there? - but i'm 90% sure it was the opti the past few weeks it has been struggling with rpm. . .
Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Uhh if it doesnt crank it's not your optispark.

All you need for the car to crank is for the engine to not be locked, the starter to work, the starter solenoid to work, and the wiring to the starter and solenoid to be good and I guess for the flexplate/flywheel to be in one piece and bolted to the engine.

Check the starter relay. Jump the 30 and 87 terminals and see if the starter kicks (with key to ign position).

if not check to make sure the battery is charged and that you are getting 12V to the 30 terminal on the starter relay.

if it does engage the starter jumping it then you have something wrong in the ignition/clutch switch/nss/whatever..
Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

To bypass the clutch switch just pull the plug and put a piece of wire or paperclip in between the terminals on the plug.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, that's good to know. . .It's very weird as to why it just wouldn't kick over like that but the opti iss going out as is so i thought it might be the reason but I'll just try and by pass it and see what happens. . .
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

So wait wait wait - would this involve a fuse busting because if the car isn't starting because I blew a fuse I'm gunna kick myself for leaving it there. . .
Old 08-03-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Regular

yes it could

Check the "starter" fuse (under the hood)

could be an ignition fuse too i guess

You can probably start the car by finding the large (10 gauge) wire on the passenger side of the engine compartment (by the strut tower IIRC) there is a plug you can unplug (just a single wireplug). Run a large gauge wire from the + batt terminal to that purple wire (the end closest to the front of the car). You can bypass the whole start circuit and start the car that way. Just make sure the ebrake is on and the car is in neutral and the key is in the IGN position.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love you!!!!! - Exactly what it was thanks! Paperclip to the rescue!!!!! Sadly. . .now the opti is about to go own I can feel it in the power. . .needs new plugs and wires - maybe she can hold out until next paycheck! - maybe. . . .
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a coil crap on me. It would be one of the first places I would check. Glad it was something as simple as a fuse.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by aram
could be an ignition fuse too i guess
I know we already fixed the car here but I just wanted to add that ignition fuse blown will still allow the car to crank. I blew one once and the car will crank all day long. Took me a while to track it down.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

You are right. I thought the ignition fuse might feed power to the key circuit, but I guess it doesn't. The ignition fuse might ONLY feed the ignition relay.