LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Have a definitive FelPro part# for LT1 Valve guide seals?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Have a definitive FelPro part# for LT1 Valve guide seals?

Well, <sarcasm>It keeps getting better</sarcasm>

First I found I broke one of the big ol' solid roller dual valve springs(Intake on #1). Then I found one on the passenger side (Intake on #6). As I pulled off the pieces of the spring, I saw the valve stem seal was mangled. So, finding they don't keep them in stock at Autozone nor Advanced Auto, I order a set that I'm assured will fit. I wait 2 days and they get here..

(Phonetically) Wah lah... POS's don't fit.

I already had the correct GM part numbers from my Fbody Parts manual on CD but GMpartsdirect.com wants $5x.xx for them and that's with ground shipping (meaning a week or two wait in my past dealings with them). Via Google, I look around and find that FelPro has two kits, one for intake, one for exhaust. I think, "Now we're talking". I call the local shop (elevated prices and the nearest Autozone, etc is 25 minutes in either direction) and they have the intake valve seals and will gladly order the exhaust versions, to be there in the morning. So I say great and drive over and open the box....wtf... these look goofy. They don't look like any I've ever seen on any LT1 in person nor in magazine, web,etc. He assures me they fit. I counter and say someone swapped the contents of the box. He says take 'em, try 'em. If they don't fit, bring them back for free. I take them, lift off the valve covers and try it.

Nope! Phock...

Disgusted, I put it back in the box and decide not to make the day a total loss. I undo the exhaust valve on #6 and put it's pushrod beside the intake pushrod on my nice clean magnetic tray. But as I lay the exhaust pushrod down beside the intake pushrod, it becomes immediately apparent that the intake pushrod is noticeably bent. Perfect!!! Grrrr..... What's next?
Another brain tumor? Lol...

So I'm ordering a new set of the special length Trick Flow 7.900 pushrods for $8x.00 on payday. The seals, sheesh... I called the guy that did the heads and he was only sure they were viton w/0.500 ID 11/32 stems. He didn't have a part number but he mentioned they were the LS1 seals. I expressed incredulousness. "LS1 valve seals? Really?". So I call the local parts shop and tell them to order the LS1 seals. They said, "Okay!". About 20 minutes later, the guy that setup the heads calls back and said, "I just want to be clear. You want the 11/32" viton with the 0.500, but not the LS1 version"....

<Dave pulls the cell phone away from his ear, holds in front of himself and
scowls>

Hahahaha.. I'll post again tomorrow after I see if they fit. They have two completely different part numbers in the Parts CD from the LT1 iterations but maybe he machined the guides to accept the LS1 versions. I have no idea what belongs on there now.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

I found ones that work. Here's the deal, often when a machine shop sets up your heads for a dual or triple valve spring, there just isn't that much room for the stock dimension valve stem seal to fit. Solution? Maching the outside of the valve guide down to .500 or even smaller for the triple springs then use a small bodied seal. I was able to talk to the machinist that setup my heads and he confirmed that stock LT1 seals would not fit. I needed to get the Viton 11/32" valve stem seals with an Inner Diameter of .500. Well, desparate to get the car going, I ordered some from him, some from Summit (Manley #24043-8) and found a Fel-Pro kit with designated Intake and Exhaust seals in a box for $19.00 locally. The Fel pro's fit perfect. They are Fel-Pro SS70945. Now I only have to get my new pushrods (due here Monday) and I'll be back on the road again.

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 09-07-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Update: I've been using Tim's valve spring tool to extract the springs and replace the valve seals. I've found two other springs so far that have had the inner spring broken. I want to mention that Tim's kit for the 7/16ths LT1 comes with what appears to be an ARP 7/16ths stud instead of the threaded rod in the other kits. But the K-1100 spring is so tall in the uncompressed state that the stud doesn't protrude through the plate so you can't even begin to thread the nut onto it. I went to the local hardware store and bought a 7/16" carriage bolt (coarse threads) and cut off the panhead. It works fine in lieu of the provided stud although it binds a bit on the plate due I suppose to the relatively soft metal of the cheap carriage bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have a definitive FelPro part# for LT1 Valve guide seals?