LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starter Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Starter Problems????

Guys/Gals,

OK, I need some help. I have a 383 Stroker, that I recently did the oil pan gasket swap while the motor was in the car (NOT FUN) and am now having a problem once I put her all back together. When I go to start her I get a grinding from the starter like the solenoid is not extending the starter gear all the way and the gear is rubbing the front of the fly wheel. Now I thought the starter might be bad, so I p/u a new one from Autozone and same thing, so I had my old starter tested and it's just fine. Maybe, an alignment issue I thought, so I get it all done, but this time do the old jump the starter with a srew driver (so I can see whats going on) and it works fine and engages on the flywheel turning the motor over (with the ignition fuse pulled ofcourse). Now, I figure I'd try it again from inside the car with everything hooked back up, and same thing. It seems that not enough juice is getting to the starter when I try and crank her from the inside? Could this be a bad gound, starter cable, does anyone have any ideas or have you seem this before? Any help is much appreciated as I am at my wits end here......
Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the surface where the starter connects to the block is clean. and check how much power you have going to the starter as well
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
make sure the surface where the starter connects to the block is clean. and check how much power you have going to the starter as well
I also say clean both mating surfaces and check that there is 12 volts at both termanls on the starter, check all fuses in the car, ( espally the PCM Battery fuse )
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, guys I determined today that I am a complete idiot and finally figured out the problem. The problem was I accidentally hooked up the PCM ground cable to the Theft terminal on the starter along with the purple wire theft interrupt cable. Thanks to the Shoebox website I looked at some of the pics and saw the pic of the PCM ground and noticed this was the same wire I hooked up to the starter. I appreciate all of your help and man I feel dumb!!!!

Last edited by DAVE00; 10-03-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha. good job!