LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Backpressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backpressure Question

Well Im finaly finishing my header install and started it with just the y pipe on. I noticed that when the revs were coming down, it sounded like the motor died. Is that because there wasnt enough backpressure? It sounded weird and revved weird also. Everything looks like its all in order. I just want to make sure its the lack of BP causing this. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should run fine without the catback connected. I drove mine 20 miles with open headers.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
Well Im finaly finishing my header install and started it with just the y pipe on. I noticed that when the revs were coming down, it sounded like the motor died. Is that because there wasnt enough backpressure? It sounded weird and revved weird also. Everything looks like its all in order. I just want to make sure its the lack of BP causing this. Thanks!

I wish i new the exact answer man. I had open headers for a week before finishing my install. The car operated fine, just loud as hell obviously. It may not have the exact same response when you rev it but it shouldn't almost die. I can tell a difference between the cutout from the borla, but it's nothing like your describing. I would just put your catback on and see what happens. If it goes back to "normal mode" with good rev's there's your answer obviously.

Just a side note. Have you checked your wires, ignition coil etc...?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

modern fuel injected cars dont need backpressure...dont think older cars did either...but it do believe that it helps some with tq down low
Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some EGR systems work off of backpressure, and other things. cant remember off the top of my head... or if our motors do use it
Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Well mine is obviously an EGR car. The EGR tube isnt 100% plugged off yet (gotta put the block off plates on,maybe thats what causes it?). It just feels odd, but it idles just fine. Wires are good, and all else is in working order. I thought its just because back pressure wasnt there.They are mids, so maybe the fact that they dont make as much BP as LT's do thats what it is. I will get it all welded up here in a day?or 2 and make sure thats it. Thanks guys, any more input would be great as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to throw in my 2cents. I ran my car with open headers for probably 6000 miles. From mainly highway from work to school and ****. Ran fine but fried a few o2 sensors in the process.... two years later still runs great.. but i have hooked up my slp exhaust since then, open headers gets annoying as **** going down the highway.

oh and i did have all my emissions **** taken off and the 2 rear o2s deleted off the ecm via a tune
Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the gas? got enough? lol i only say that because wat u descrbed could be it... and it happened to me this past weekend in a bracket race

Quick Reply: Backpressure Question