LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tuning?

I have an SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator I am going to be installing. it is the exact same one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...spagenameZWDVW

What do I need to know when installing this? since it is adjustable and all? It says 10hp if properly tuned? Is it something I could do to tune it properly or would a shop need to tune it?

Reference to this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/791595-what-could-cause-starting-issue.html

Last edited by HoLLo; 10-03-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10hp? lol
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah that's what I said.. but back on topic
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally believe power can be gained from PSI tuning. People say no, the ECM/PCM will compensate. My TPI car reacted well to more PSI. TPiS' site says around 52psi on an untuned car will gain power where as around 46~ on a tuned car will gain power. Power or throttle response, I don't know. I don't care, I welcome BOTH.

I'm gong to be getting an AJFPR soon too.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never installed one but it would seem to me that you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and adjust it to whatever stock pressure is at. The 10hp claim comes from making it more rich to get some power. To do it right, you need a wideband o2 sensor to monitor the air/fuel ratio.
Most tuners will probably change the fuel trim tables in the PCM before they mess with the FPR.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I personally believe power can be gained from PSI tuning. People say no, the ECM/PCM will compensate. My TPI car reacted well to more PSI. TPiS' site says around 52psi on an untuned car will gain power where as around 46~ on a tuned car will gain power. Power or throttle response, I don't know. I don't care, I welcome BOTH.

I'm gong to be getting an AJFPR soon too.

The LT1 system is much more adaptable and LEARNS fueling to some degree so don't apply the hal;fassed stupidity used on other applications to this one.

If any of you think a FPR is a tuning tool please STOP working on your car till you get your head out of your *** and learn how to do things right.'

A regulator is a fuel system components, tuning is done in the computer.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

agreed. if you dump more fuel... you need more air... and the computer needs to know
Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Launching!

An adjustable FPR is a waste of time unless the following condition applies: The majority of your fuel table is very lean or very rich.

Outside of the above condition, you're wasting time and money.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok but since I have like only the top part of the entire regulator, I am actually wondering if this will do anything at all. It only converts the stock one to an adjustable one. It's not a replacement entire regulator.

BTW I has also changed my fuel filter. Say the FPR doesn't fix my issue, would it be the pump next?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If any of you think a FPR is a tuning tool please STOP working on your car till you get your head out of your *** and learn how to do things right.'
LOL... don't beat around the bush, just say what you really mean!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Sell it and buy a modification worth installing. I'm still running my stock FPR and have no plans on changing it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

just to verify your problem... your car takes a while to start right? it just cranks then finally starts
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I have that unit. I used it to fine tune my FPR to the exact pressure recommended by GM. The stock FPR is not, repeat NOT accurate, at least in my case. If others have FPRs that are accurate, more power to you. But I tuned mine right into the exact pressure specified. 10 hp, well, HPP also claimed more HP with their tune, which never happened with my car.
Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The Lt-1 fuel pressure regulator is just fine in working condition. Lt-1 have never had a problem with running lean, it's always been most of them run too rich. Unless you have a sick turbo set-up makin 550whp then it might be worth getting the aeromotive fpr that increases fuel 1:1 in reference with boost. Send it back and get a pcm tune. If you think your fpr is bad just replace it with stock. Tuned port and tbi injection are the only motors that benifit from a adjustable fpr
Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My LT1 benefited from an adjustable FPR, but that is because I was close to reaching the limit of my pump and it gave me more leeway. My VE and PE tables were just about at the end of their adjustable levels and it was still slightly lean on the top end. My tuner said some of the high rpm VE and PE cells actually had to be maxed out - I think he said he had to put in "FF" in a few cells . I was with him for the last couple of runs, so I was able to watch what it was doing. He recommended the AFPR for my particular case, but we had a dyno and wideband to make that decision. Just throwing one on any car will more often then not hurt instead of help, and after installing it you need to datalog some partial throttle and WOT runs to dial it in to the fuel pressure your particular combo likes.

It is true though that most cars will not benefit from one, but I wouldnt call it useless. Especially since there is quite a variation of fuel pressures even among same year LT1 cars..it is not accurate at all.

My car is a 93 though, which are "unique" and sometimes may respond differently to some mods - maybe its just me
Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
My LT1 benefited from an adjustable FPR, but that is because I was close to reaching the limit of my pump and it gave me more leeway. My VE and PE tables were just about at the end of their adjustable levels and it was still slightly lean on the top end. My tuner said some of the high rpm VE and PE cells actually had to be maxed out - I think he said he had to put in "FF" in a few cells . I was with him for the last couple of runs, so I was able to watch what it was doing. He recommended the AFPR for my particular case, but we had a dyno and wideband to make that decision. Just throwing one on any car will more often then not hurt instead of help, and after installing it you need to datalog some partial throttle and WOT runs to dial it in to the fuel pressure your particular combo likes.

It is true though that most cars will not benefit from one, but I wouldnt call it useless. Especially since there is quite a variation of fuel pressures even among same year LT1 cars..it is not accurate at all.

My car is a 93 though, which are "unique" and sometimes may respond differently to some mods - maybe its just me
Sound like in your case you put a bandaid on the situatuion. If I was reaching my pumps limit, I would either replaced the pump or used a msd pump booster. Raising pressure is not the answer! Your making the pump work harder when it's at its limit already
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Sound like in your case you put a bandaid on the situatuion. If I was reaching my pumps limit, I would either replaced the pump or used a msd pump booster. Raising pressure is not the answer! Your making the pump work harder when it's at its limit already
It wasnt that the pump was on its ragged edge of keeping up then I would have just gotten a new one - it was that my tables were maxed and it stopped helping. Large changes in the tune were not making the difference they should have. With the higher fuel pressure I regained the ability to control it through the tune correctly, since it evened out the line pressure so it did not fall off at higher rpms. I guess it is kind of like drilling an IAC hole so that the computer can regain control of the idle - it wasnt to fix the problem in itself, but to allow the computer to regain control.

I was planning on getting a new pump with the AFPR, but I got the AFPR first and luckily the problem was solved with just that. Now I have it on for when I do upgrade my pump .

I am planning on replacing all my aging fuel lines to braided line anyway eventually (I admit alot of that is just for the "bling" factor ), and that will be a great time to get a new fuel pump while I am at it
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

This is how my car starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYdd_eYKzmY

And hoping putting this AFPR on it will fix the problem
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

lol, I bought an SLP about 6 years ago, I've honestly forgotten how to adjust it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
It wasnt that the pump was on its ragged edge of keeping up then I would have just gotten a new one - it was that my tables were maxed and it stopped helping. Large changes in the tune were not making the difference they should have. With the higher fuel pressure I regained the ability to control it through the tune correctly, since it evened out the line pressure so it did not fall off at higher rpms. I guess it is kind of like drilling an IAC hole so that the computer can regain control of the idle - it wasnt to fix the problem in itself, but to allow the computer to regain control.

I was planning on getting a new pump with the AFPR, but I got the AFPR first and luckily the problem was solved with just that. Now I have it on for when I do upgrade my pump .

I am planning on replacing all my aging fuel lines to braided line anyway eventually (I admit alot of that is just for the "bling" factor ), and that will be a great time to get a new fuel pump while I am at it
Sounds to me like you needed bigger injectors.
If fueling is wrong it needs to be changed in the pcm.

That said, I have a Metco adjustable regulator(it modifies the stocker like SLP) on my car, I got a set of 32lbs LS1 injectors for next to nothing, at LT1 pressure they ran at about 28lbs which was too small and a friend had the Metco I got again for next to nothing and I used it to give these injectors the 58psi they were designed for, still hitting 85%DC on the injectors she's a thirsty girl. I would not call what I have done an outright mistake but certainly would not do it like this again and would discourage others from doing it. Buy BIG injectors when you need to buy injectors instead of doing it halfway like I did, will be cheaper in the longrun ans you wont be beating on your fuel pump like I am at this time.

The stock regulator may not deliver exactly spec'd pressure, but IMO it would be pretty stupid to buy an adjustable for just that reason when all that would be needed would be a slight tweak to the tune. There are calculators online to change injector flow ratings based on pressure changes.

Quick Reply: SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tuning?