LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lingenfelter LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lingenfelter LT1

Has anyone ever done this or does anyone ACTUALLY know someone who has done this?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_cf1992_350.htm

YES - I know it can be done cheaper, that it's overpriced, blah, blah, blah, but I just want to know what the results were with the Lingenfelter engine, either the 350 or 383, and were they satisfied with the work.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lingenfelter is top notch, so I can't see ANY problems with those motors. But as you said, a wee over priced.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running a Lingenfelter 383 in my 95...It has been absolutely flawless for 12 years...I did have the heads re-ported in 2005 by E.B. Porting and installed a wee bit bigger Joe Overton cam, but those were only done to try to go faster...I have never had any failures at all with their motor...Having been to their facility all I can say is that its an amazing place and they do great work, with meticulous attention to detail. My motor was not cheap back in 1995, but after 12 years it doesn't owe me a thing, and it keeps getting faster...Could it have been done cheaper? probably...Would it still be kicking *** going on its 13th year? I don't know...

Before we re-ported the heads and went with a bigger cam it had the 211/219 cam and it went 11.70s at 115 all day long with a 3.42 gear...LPE builds very durable, streetable and emissions legal fast stuff...If you don't mind spending the $$$ its worth it...I'm very satisfied...

--Alan
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at that it doesn't actually seem that bad of a price. If I'm reading it right thats the installed price, with a bunch of bolt ons and exhaust, then dyno'd. Seems like if you had a completely stock car that would be like one stop shopping.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

There the best in the business! Spend the money and go with them. Im glad I only live 20 minutes away. Taking my car there for a tune this week, they use actual gm tuning software.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at that my self.Thinking that no headaches involved .There only about 90 minutes away from me i think.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

yea 13yrs on a built motor is quite a long while and def. worth the investment.. LPE is def. the premier builder and they can pretty much do anything mile-wild.. and make it all seem like it came that way from the factory... but like mentioned before you'll pay.. dearly
Old 10-07-2007, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Has anyone ever done this or does anyone ACTUALLY know someone who has done this?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_cf1992_350.htm

YES - I know it can be done cheaper, that it's overpriced, blah, blah, blah, but I just want to know what the results were with the Lingenfelter engine, either the 350 or 383, and were they satisfied with the work.
I actually had that package back in the day on my stock 350 shortblock. With stock rear gears and a manual tranny it went 12.8's at around 110mph. Not bad at all with "No" suspension mods, 1.95 sixty's and no power shifting. That small cam has a great power band especially helpfull with no suspension mods. With good rear end and better gearing along with launching at a high rpm I would think low 12's at 112mph should be easy. LE or AI package do have a lot more over all power if you have the supporting mods. Remember though, that if you have an auto knock off about 3 miles an hour in trap speed.

My short block was not the best example of the power this combo might make. Later going to my stroker combo I realized that my piston to deck clearance was a huge .036 Couple that to a head gasket that was measured later at .054 Their was some loss for sure with that set up!

Last edited by jimbob; 10-07-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Default Reasons...

Thanks for the responses, especially the ones that gave performance times. Here are the reasons why I'm thinking about doing this:

Reason #1 – At first I didn’t care about a jump in performance, but now I’m starting to consider it. I’m at the age where I’ve got more money than time, but I still don’t want to waste money. I like the fact that this is a “drop off – pick up deal” with a warranty.

Reason #2 – I initially thought about saving up and getting the upcoming 5th Gen, but it looks like it’s going to cost more than I’m willing to pay, plus it has a few things I don’t like, for example, I like the fact that the 4th is a hatchback and I love my t-roof. Even though 9k for the Lingenfelter is a lot of money, it would (hopefully) get me a car that’s as fast as the 5th Gen, and still cost a less. For me, the 4th Gen is practically the perfect performance car.

I’ve got a few leaks and at a minimum I was going to get the engine rebuilt to stock at some point but I’ve seen too many performance shops disappear after a few years. Lingenfelter has been around awhile and sounds like it has a good rep and I wouldn’t mind paying for their experience. I’m also looking for reliability along with a little more performance. With my prior f-body, a V6 Y87 Camaro, I never hesitated to take a long trip. No so with this car and it would be worse with some of work from some of the shops I’ve seen.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They upped their warranty on packages to 3 year/36,000 miles which is pretty bad *** if you ask me...The only draw back is that now everything they build and install in a street car has to pass emissions...Everything that leaves there has cats on it and all emissions stuff hooked up...Its actually pretty cool when you figure that they are still making some impressive power with those strict guidelines...

I've been a long term test dummy for the LT1 stuff. What can I say? I run very fast and don't break...'nuff said...Heading into lucky year #13...If you talk to them ask for Kevin and mention my car...

--Alan
Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Second Moderator

LPE builds solid dependable useable horsepower and torque. You get what you pay for. LPE will get you where you want to be and keep you there till you let off the gas...

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter LT1