LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AutoMeter Temp Sending Unit Install Help

Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoMeter Temp Sending Unit Install Help

I grabbed a couple AutoMeter electric gauges for my car (tranny, and engine temp), and did some homework, but still have quite a few questions.

Engine Temp Sending Unit
The factory temp sensor is located between the first two tube on the driver's side head. I know that I am not supposed to tee that hole and run both sending units as it will give false readings. I have read it is best put the new sending unit into the passenger side head in the back between the two rear header tubes. There is a plug located between the two rear head tubes that I am supposed to be able to pull and install my sending unit there. Since GM used the front plug on the drivers side and the heads are the same but reversed on the passenger side head then this port should work. However I read that I need an adapter (-AN fitting) to make this work. I don't know anythign about -AN stuff other then it works good, cost alot more then I normally like to spend on fittings, and looks pretty.

So my first question is:
What kinda adapter/fitting do I need to use the passenger side head port between the rear header tubes to put my temp gauge sending unit in there?

[B]Second question:[/B
]I noticed there is also plug in the front between the first two header pipes as well. Is this also ok to use to hook up my sending unit as it is so much more accessible, and would save a lot of backaches.

Third question:
Are any of you running your AutoMeter engine temp gauges someplace else or in some way that perhaps would be better? I noticed that Fred (Injuneer) has some sorta block he made and affixed to one of the radiator hoses.

Tranny Temperature Sending Unit
Now the two most popular ways I have found that people are hooking up the tranny temp sending unit is either putting a hole in the tranny pan using the supplied bung and putting it in there. I do not have access to welding equipment so that idea is kinda shot. I could use that putty crap, but I am not a big fan of it, and would like to stay away from it if possible.

However the other way is to buy a tee and hook it into the tranny cooler return line. This will read the tranny temp after its been cooled and headed back into the tranny pan correct? This seems like the best and only real solution for me.

I also read that there is a spot on the case (tranny line pressure plug) that you are supposed to be able to directly screw in the sending unit, but I read that it gives you a false reading due to being attached to the case, and that it creates a dead end flow reading. Any truth or thoughts on this? Suggestions are welcomed! Thanks everyone.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

if u screw it into the line pressure plug it will give you a false reading. thats where mine is and it just goes all the way hot after a few mins of driving.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=godspeed1976;7924110]I also read that there is a spot on the case (tranny line pressure plug) that you are supposed to be able to directly screw in the sending unit, but I read that it gives you a false reading due to being attached to the case, and that it creates a dead end flow reading.QUOTE]

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to correctly install it?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt97Ta
if u screw it into the line pressure plug it will give you a false reading. thats where mine is and it just goes all the way hot after a few mins of driving.
You might be using an incorrect sender for the gauge you have.

Search this Thread