LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header bolt question

im in the process of putting my headers on...for the first time...and i have a new set of locking bolts im going to use and i was wondering the stock bolt that holds the bracket for the alternator do i need to use that same one since it needs to be longer to hold that little spacer and the bracket? and what about the spacers on the others that i have taken off the stock bolts i dont need those when i use the new locking ones right?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Locking bolts are pointless. Bolts only loosen because gaskets compress, only way to keep headers sealed is repeated retightening till the gasket is done compressing at which point torque will keep the bolts tight.

Some gaskets compress more than others, an Earl's Pressure Master or other metal gasket wont need retightening like an all fiber one.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres my question to that though... does 1 he still need to use that alternator bracket that connects from the header to the bottom of the alternator and 2 whats the torque that the bolts should be tightened to? I have Pacesetter long tube headers and when I called summit they didnt know what I should torque the bolts down to...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a torque wrench on them, more power to you! Stock, should be like 22 foot pounds. Better to have to returque than to strip threads in aluminum. I also suggest using slightly longer bolts than stock for better thread engagement.

On my LT1 with Hooker shortys, it was impossible to get a socket on any but one bolt, and I had to machine down a 7/16 box end wrench to tighten the header bolts with. The box end does much less damage to the heads. Then just as much as my finger tips could pull on the short handle.

The alt bracket is a good idea but not absolutely critical.