LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch dragging & disengagement issues...Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch dragging & disengagement issues...Pics inside

Three years ago I had a custom Kevlar clutch disk made locally. When I installed it I determined that the clutch would not 100% disengage with the clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor, therefore it would not go in gear. The reason for this was the total unclamped disk thickness was .348" MAX. It was just too thick. I then removed one Kevlar facing and replaced it with a slightly thinner organic facing, I remember this new disk thickness being around .330" or so but I cant be positive. This new disk worked perfectly fine with no clutch drag for three years, however this disk is now worn out.

I just purchased a brand new Spec stage 3+ disk which I intend to use with my current SLP drilled pressure plate. The unclamped disk thickness on this 3+ disk is .338" MAX.

A stock LT1 disk unclamped is .320" MAX just for reference.

I am concerned that I may run into the same problem with the clutch not 100% disengaging with this new Spec stage 3+, although it is still .010" thinner than my old first pass custom disk which was clearly too thick. This makes me wonder if Spec clutches re-surfaces all their new Valeo pressure plates with the only purpose of removing some material to avoid clutch disk drag when using thicker than OEM disks. From looking at these pics from BFrankers this might be plausible, look at the three areas just off the friction surface:
OEM pressure plate (note the three dark areas:

Spec pressure plate: (note the machined marks)

My SLP plate needs a resurfacing, I am planning on shaving .020" from which should have the same effect as making the disk thinner. This should help me avoid possible clutch drag.

Here is a photo of the Spec stage 3+ disk sandwiched between an unbolted flywheel and pressure plate. The dimension of the stage 3+ is .142" and the worn out disk is .108"

Here is a photo of the flywheel, disk and pressure plate all bolted up. The fingers are just perfectly straight level, I am thinking they should be slightly down or slightly facing the forward of the car.

My questions:
What is the "LT1 clutch disk MAX thickness spec" that can be used while avoiding clutch drag?
Does anyone have a Spec pressure plate they can look at to see if they are removing material for bigger disk?

If you have an uninstalled Spec pressure plate you can look at, please PM me.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude you're too late. My buddy and I installed a Spec stage 3 yesterday morning in his car. We used a stock LT1 flywheel that had been resurfaced twice. Drove the car a little and did not seem to be any clutch drag.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

my centerforce DFx drags a little. i tried everything in the book to rid of it but now i have to live with it until it dies and i go with a ram.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
my centerforce DFx drags a little. i tried everything in the book to rid of it but now i have to live with it until it dies and i go with a ram.
We chucked the Ram that was on the car for the Spec.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dhdenney
We chucked the Ram that was on the car for the Spec.
which ram was it?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya know I'm not even really sure what he was using. I remember seeing "made in China" on the clutch disk. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it for that reason, but that's a personal preference.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Ya know I'm not even really sure what he was using. I remember seeing "made in China" on the clutch disk. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it for that reason, but that's a personal preference.
i wouldnt trust condoms made in china, and they think you can trust something important like a clutch
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i wouldnt trust condoms made in china, and they think you can trust something important like a clutch
Freal. As far as driveline components, I pretty well have and desire to use American made stuff. The exception is the Callies Compstar rods I bought for the other car but I trust the Callies QC.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

i was gonna use the SLP clutch for my next one since i just barely DD the car.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

That I have no idea about.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,
Lets stick to the topic.

Quick Reply: Clutch dragging & disengagement issues...Pics inside